Swap GS3 Housing

The Letter Mu

Estimable
Feb 17, 2014
Hey all, I've got a GS3 (SPH-L710) and it's got just a few scratches and cosmetic damage to it. The major problem is the power button. It wasn't as bad about a month ago when my phone wouldn't start. Back then it turned out the button was stuck and it just kept starting and shutting off. I slightly tapped (and by slightly I mean I gave it a good hit) the button against the edge of a table just once and voila, the phone worked. Button no longer stuck

Now, I guess over a month that button slowly loosened, and now it keeps shutting down and resetting at the slightest movement. I know for a fact I'm not going to let Sprint charge me $200 to get me a refurb. Let's say I got my hands on a GS3 of the same model with a bad ESN. How difficult would changing out the entire housing be? I've swapped boards for iPods and replaced screens, but I need a cheap way to give myself a newer looking housing with a button that actually works. Is a swap feasible? I could get the bad ESN GS3 for less than $50 on an auction no problem. All I would have to do is change out the main board, because IIRC wasn't the internal storage (not the SD) soldered to the mainboard?

The Letter Mu

Estimable
Feb 17, 2014
Thanks, I've been using ifixit for iPods and iPhones recently and it's worked out for me so far. I actually purchased a replacement housing. It was a full replacement of the chassis with a new screen/digitizer as well. I'll get back to this topic once I've done it!