Solved! Swapped SD card into my new phone, separate photo albums have all gone into one

Feb 3, 2020
I have just set up a new phone for my mum, changing from an old Samsung to a Huawei.

I swapped all data from the old phone's internal storage to the new phone with no issues.

The problem is with the photos on the SD card. All of the photos were originally separated into different albums, on the SD card, on the old phone. When I took the SD card out of the old phone and put it into the new phone, all of the photos are in one big album, so instead of separate albums I just have 5000+ photos in the folder 'camera'.

Is there any way to reorganise these photos into their albums?
I thought that creating and separating the photos into albums would have created folders locally on the SD card's storage and would not therefore be affected by transferring it into different devices.

Solution
Those albums may not have been on the card itself, but part of the phone. I have seen that happen before. So when you moved them, well you see what happens.

A way around this, I have found, is to put them in folders not through the phone but through a computer. So either connect the phone (with the SD card still in it) to a computer via USB cord, or move the files over to an empty folder on the computer.

Then for either, you can sort them all into folders you create through the connection to the computer. This will create individual folders the right way, not associated with the phone. Then no matter where you move them, they would stay in these folders. Unless of course you move them out of the folders.

Now you could, on most...
Those albums may not have been on the card itself, but part of the phone. I have seen that happen before. So when you moved them, well you see what happens.

A way around this, I have found, is to put them in folders not through the phone but through a computer. So either connect the phone (with the SD card still in it) to a computer via USB cord, or move the files over to an empty folder on the computer.

Then for either, you can sort them all into folders you create through the connection to the computer. This will create individual folders the right way, not associated with the phone. Then no matter where you move them, they would stay in these folders. Unless of course you move them out of the folders.

Now you could, on most phones, also do this through the phone's file management app. However that would take a long while since you can't move things in large chunks like you can through a computer.

When you do it, and once you have them all sorted (yes I know it will take a 'while') I suggest leaving a copy of the folders on the computer or a cloud account. This way you always have a backup.

Reactions: MrBE
Solution
Feb 3, 2020
Thanks for your reply.

I've had another look this morning, and whilst everything from the transfer was amalgamated into one big folder, I missed a button which led to 'other albums' and they are still all listed there thankfully.

Your reply has been helpful as I would have created folders within the SD through a computer if the albums were not saved.

I am still going to plug the phone into a computer to check if these albums have been recreated through the phone or if they exist in folders on the SD for obvious reasons.

I would like to ask - you suggested a cloud account - choosing which cloud service to use has been a topic on my mind lately. I don't suppose you have any recommendations or preferences, seeing as you mentioned it? Namely, something affordable for saving large quantities of images so that I have a backup in the event of issues such as this, or data loss. I was always worried about choosing a service on which the servers go down if they go out of business, but the big names like Microsoft cloud services are very expensive.