SWAT Team Busts Guy For Assembling LEGO Gun

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]towely[/nom]Toronto, indeed Canada, does not have "SWAT." Toronto has the "ETF" (Emergency Task Force) branch of the Metro Police. There is the only organization in the city that uses that acronym, and it is most certainly not involved in law enforcement. http://www.walnet.org/csis/groups/swat/[/citation]
Love it!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]toebee[/nom]What kind of job allows you to build lego guns and play COD?[/citation]

THAT IS WHAT I WAS THINKING !!!!

LOl seriously that office sounds full of f--- offs LOL

G

Those crazy Canadians, ever so fearful of even the thought of a gun.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Funny, the guy who took all the time to take the picture failed to notice the remaining parts to his Lego gun on his desk. They also failed to notice that he is clearly looking at the instruction on how to put it together. I know it is a bit heat of the moment here, but it looks like he could zoom in good with the camera and spent a good deal of time spying. During all the office spying he never noticed his gun had some assembly required?

wongster

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
this was not excessive at all. its a completely understandable situation when you take into account that the office has many people in it. if the handgun were real and the SWAT didnt come youd be complaining that they didnt do anything.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]It's Canada, it's rare to see even an ancient collector's pistol.[/citation]

They love guns in Canada too. They just have less shootouts.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]9d3tsi[/nom]Well, at least he wasn't running around with lego akimbo 1887's. Forget S.W.A.T, they would have had to call in an air strike.[/citation]
He'd have been sniping people from the window if he was using akimbo 1887's!

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
LEGO gun...SWAT/EFT reaction...EPIC FAIL! Glad this happened in Canada.

The man in the office should have pulled his head out of his ass before thinking of bringing, even a fake gun, to the office. FAIL!

Obviously the guy spying through the window doesn't know anything about firearms. What kind of hand gun uses a colored instruction sheet in order to be assembled and is made from little black blocks? Another FAIL.

It is a sad state of affairs when the simple sighting of a firearm elicits an armed response from Government trained death squads. I chalk this up to reactionary police tactics and stupidity.

Beware the society and government that rewards the average citizen for ratting out his fellow man.[sarcasm]Don't trust anyone and report all suspicious activity to your nearest law enforcement agency; and if that agency is armed with military style semi/full auto rifles and shotguns, that's even better![/sarcasm]

Another reason why I'm glad to live in America and am a proud card carrying member of both the ACLU and the NRA.

Scotteq

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
[citation][nom]salanos[/nom]Aren't guns supposed to be legal in the USA anyway??[/citation]

They are legal, depending on the type. But they are also regulated to varying degrees depending on which state you live in. In some states, you simply have to register and pass a quick background check to purchase so they can verify you comply with certain laws preventing certain categories of individuals from ever owning (violently insane, and anyone with a criminal conviction on their record) In other areas, firearms are very heavily regulated (California, New Jersey, and Disctrict of Columbia having some of the strictest laws). The requirements also vary depending on the intended usage: A public "Carry" permit obviously having much higher standards than simple ownership/transport to/from the range.

ettibebs

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
From chunkymonster :"It is a sad state of affairs when the simple sighting of a firearm elicits an armed response from Government trained death squads. I chalk this up to reactionary police tactics and stupidity."

In Canada such weapon are at best restricted. Restricted weapon can only be used on range. Generally aside from law enforcement and some clearly identified security firm nobody has handgun. As such the one who spotted the lego gun could relatively safely assume that it was a criminal using a gun, as such his reaction was correct. As for the government death squad we don't have such and law enforcement at least where I am is really trustworthy.

I feel much safer knowing there is so few gun around in Canada and the number of death by gun in USA compare to Canada comfort me in thinking so.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]will_chellam[/nom]to be fair it does look a bit glock-ish[/citation]

Don't you mean...BLOCK-ish! BHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHHAH.....yea...

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I agree with using swat, and from the picture it would be hard to tell if it was fake/real. The guy who took the picture did the right thing and called the police. The police responded like they should've. They didn't know if he was planning on taking hostages, going on a killing spree, or simply killing himself.

Now it is just lego's. The guy imo also didn't do nothing wrong. So I don't think he should be charged *money* for it either.

It was a simple misunderstanding, but everybody did what they should've done, and swat should just chalk this up to training expenses.

klogdog

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]spike53[/nom]It's illegal in Canada to have a gun that can be fired using only one hand. This means that handguns are illegal in Canada, except in the hands of cops and military. That's why SWAT came in to search.[/citation]

So where do you get this information that it is illegal in Canada to have a handgun? I personally have a license to own handguns. You are just not allowed to do anything with them. The laws regulating their transportation and use are very strict.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[[citation][nom]toebee[/nom]What kind of job allows you to build lego guns and play COD?[/citation]
obviously, a very cool job!

Status
Not open for further replies.