Swiss Jump on Google Streetview Bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jerther[/nom]Oh no, he doesn't want his wife to know![/citation]

that's the ONLY reason he is all upset. coz he was BUSTED with another women. his "advisor" yeah...sure...if one pays advisor's by the hour and goes to private hotel rooms with them...then sure :)

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
It is about privacy, for whatever reason you want it

Like, chromes incognito and the official explanation example: you searching for a gift for your loved one and wanting it to be a surprise.

If one has the right to browse privately, one has the right to go out without having to hide the face all the time.

One way to get over it: implant a chip and gps monitor everybody. China will be doing that soon.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
[citation][nom]evilshuriken[/nom]I hate politicians, they are all a bunch of idiots.This is why we can't have nice things.[/citation]

I agree, politicians are idiots, but I don't think we can qualify google street view as a "Nice thing". Has anyone ever used it? I mean asides to check out their house or something.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]falconqc[/nom]I agree, politicians are idiots, but I don't think we can qualify google street view as a "Nice thing". Has anyone ever used it? I mean asides to check out their house or something.[/citation]
I did... To check out what it was like on the other side of the canadia/USA borders on a road I went by car and didn'T pass it, because I need either an expensive passport that takes ages and procedures to get, or a special driver licence that... costs more and takes ages to get :p

Google crew didn'T pass the borders either :p

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I understand the right to privacy but two people walking down a public street? Is there anything illegal about photographing two people walking down a very public street? Have right to privacy issues gone too far? Is there some sort of misunderstanding about the right to privacy?

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]falconqc[/nom]I agree, politicians are idiots, but I don't think we can qualify google street view as a "Nice thing". Has anyone ever used it? I mean asides to check out their house or something.[/citation]

It's pretty useful if you're going someplace unfamiliar and want to know what to look for so you don't accidentally pass it up and have to drive around to find it again. I myself hardly use it but I was surprised to hear my mom say she uses it all the time. Guess she gave me the tech genes cuz my dad is...well, he finds new and inventive ways to mess up computers that I didn't even know were possible. Oh and Street View is also cool for checking out places in other countries, seeing what it's like and maybe looking at some landmarks.

sebastienm

Distinguished
May 18, 2005
>>>Is there anything illegal about photographing two people walking down a very public street?
Actually, yes there is. In some Euro countries, you cannot publish a picture of one, two... persons in the street. It is still considered Private life. To be considered Public, you need to have say 6 persons in the picture.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
well, he finds new and inventive ways to mess up computers that I didn't even know were possible.
Hahaha! So true, and they often refer to magnetism and static electricity to explain their weird problems :)

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]sebastienm[/nom]>>>Is there anything illegal about photographing two people walking down a very public street? Actually, yes there is. In some Euro countries, you cannot publish a picture of one, two... persons in the street. It is still considered Private life. To be considered Public, you need to have say 6 persons in the picture.[/citation]

So, did they arrest those pavarazzis? They not only take pictures of people (stars or famouse guys) on the public streets, but also on people's private propites...

If not... why?.... discrimation?.. or ....? or.... just another politic things?.... guess there is really no right or wrong... sometimes... even the laws can be selective.... >_

sebastienm

Distinguished
May 18, 2005
They do. Most common sensational newspapers have deals with celebrities where they review pix prior to publication, specially when pics are taken in non-fully public environment. Otherwise they get into lawsuits. In some instances though, a picture can bring so much money that the paparazy chooses the 'lawsuit' direction, but it is not very common.

I cannot remember the exact number of people that have to be in the picture to before Public (i said 6 as example). I guess it's a more or less arbitrary number to draw the line somewhere... like saying you are an adult at 18 and can then vote and al'.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]sebastienm[/nom]They do. Most common sensational newspapers have deals with celebrities where they review pix prior to publication, specially when pics are taken in non-fully public environment. Otherwise they get into lawsuits. In some instances though, a picture can bring so much money that the paparazy chooses the 'lawsuit' direction, but it is not very common.I cannot remember the exact number of people that have to be in the picture to before Public (i said 6 as example). I guess it's a more or less arbitrary number to draw the line somewhere... like saying you are an adult at 18 and can then vote and al'.[/citation]
Here in America our line is just a bit more logical. "Public" starts when you leave your private residence.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jerther[/nom]I did... To check out what it was like on the other side of the canadia/USA borders on a road I went by car and didn'T pass it, because I need either an expensive passport that takes ages and procedures to get, or a special driver licence that... costs more and takes ages to get Google crew didn'T pass the borders either[/citation]

Use it all the time, I travel for work, and want a street view of the hotel Im booking at. to see what its like, and the surroundings

Status
Not open for further replies.