Solved! Switchable graphics not recognised

sarjaleon

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
Hello guys.So I've had a Lenovo z51-70 for a little over a year now.A few weeks back,when I was playing a game,the laptop turned off all of a sudden.When I turned on the laptop after that, I noticed that whenever the graphics switched to the AMD,the laptop kept shutting down(improper shut down).I uninstalled the AMD drivers and tried to reinstall it,but the driver complains thaterror with hardware.I used system restore and even booted from an external hard disk,yet the GPU isn't being recogised.By now I think that it isn't a software problem.Any help guys?My dad's ripping me a new one saying that its because of all the games I have installed -_-.

Solution

There are many reasons for switchable graphics to cease working, reason number one is...

Nick501

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

There are many reasons for switchable graphics to cease working, reason number one is that your laptop is not plugged into power as most laptops will favor battery life over graphical performance and turn off dedicated graphics unless plugged into power.

Make sure that you have the right graphical driver installed. While it is very vaguely possible that you in some way burned out the GPU I find that extremely unlikely even with a Lenovo. Also please post what specific GPU your laptop is equipped with.

Solution