Switching Between 5.1 Speakers and 7.1 Gaming Headset Easily Without Plugging/Unplugging!?

4everPixelated

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I currently have the Z906 5.1 speaker system which uses 3 3.5mm jacks on my homebuilt PC with a built in 7.1 surround sound card on the motherboard.
I'm thinking of getting the Tiamat true 7.1 gaming headset which would use 5 3.5mm jacks (Some of the jacks would be plugged in where the 5.1 speakers' jacks would be).

Is there a way of easily switching between the two? I do not want to unplug/plug in like 3 or 5 jacks every time I want to switch!

Please help!! :)

Solution
I would just look for a headset that has 7.1 that plugs in via USB instead and does it's own 7.1 processing, set it as default audio device, when it's plugged in, you get 7.1 through the headphones, unplug, it skips down to the next available audio device, the 5.1 on the motherboard, you get 5.1 audio through your speakers. 1 USB to do it all. I've even see a few USB headsets that have an on/off button the remote for the headset.

That would be the easiest solution to me.
I would just look for a headset that has 7.1 that plugs in via USB instead and does it's own 7.1 processing, set it as default audio device, when it's plugged in, you get 7.1 through the headphones, unplug, it skips down to the next available audio device, the 5.1 on the motherboard, you get 5.1 audio through your speakers. 1 USB to do it all. I've even see a few USB headsets that have an on/off button the remote for the headset.

That would be the easiest solution to me.

Solution

4everPixelated

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

Um... I couldn't find any surround sound headset that was USB. :( I'm pretty sure the Tiamat is the only true 7.1 surround sound headset out there anyways...

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
You might struggle to get a 7.1 analogue switch though it would be possible to make one if you have some mechanical and electrical skills using an aluminum box a bunch of 3.5mm sockets and an 8 pole 2 way switch (which may be hard to find) or two 4 pole 2 way switches or a few relays.

^^ could do that.

In reality, first I read some of the reviews on those headphones, and it's not the best a lot of times for sound. Second, is 7.1 really going to make a difference in a headset? Are you really going to be able to discern all 8 channels in worthwhile way, or are you just falling prey to marketing hype that more speakers in a set of headphone next to your head with no allowance for spatial distance that makes true surround is really worth it?

Riddle671

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

Razor Megaladon 7.1 headset

Lunamonkey

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

The Tiamat has a pass through adapter, so it does all of the above on its own.