Switching CPU for Sandy Bridge laptops.

killer8297

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hi, I have a i7-2670QM ASUS laptop, x53e, the machine gives me decent performance for everything I do except for gaming plus it's kind of bulky. So I was wondering if I get a sandy bridge i3 laptop with Nvidia GT540m, would I be able to switch the cpu of the too machine and still have two working laptops. What kind of issue would I run into? And is the power supply of the laptop an issue in this case?

killer8297

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

My friend has a Acer Aspire Timeline X Notebbook, so I'm prob gonna take a crack at his laptop first before getting my own. The CPU is i3-2310M. The only concern I have is that the TDP Rating for the i3 is 35 Watts and the i7 is 45 Watts. I don't want to fry anything that doesn't belong to me.

Do NOT start swapping laptop CPU's, even if you could.

There are PLENTY of laptop configurations. Plus, any laptop with a good graphics chip will have a good CPU to support it.

A great, light-gaming laptop costs $700.

Anything above that is basically better CPU and Graphics for better games, so it boils down to how much you wish to spend.

Since anything considered a half-decent gaming laptop starts at about $1000 I strongly suggest you don't crack it open, VOID your warranty and end up with $1000 of spare parts.

Summary:
- choose your budget
- pick a laptop with the best GPU in that budget
- make sure it supports NVIDIA's Optimus (two GPU's. Turns off the gaming GPU when not needed to save power and HEAT.) Absolutely do NOT get a good graphics card without Optimus. My brother-in-law did and the HEAT is annoying when even typing when not gaming!
- avoid ACER (recommend ASUS first. Others are Toshiba, HP, Lenovo..)
- other: screen size/resolution, USB3, eSATA, 1 or 2 hard drive slots? (nice for backups though only 17" have 2.) etc.

Kepler:
Some 6xxM series are the new Kepler and some are not. I believe the 660M and 680M are Kepler. The best value, once available, might be a laptop using the 660M chipset.

*As long as you are aware of the cost and relative performance vs a desktop that's fine. I just had a LONG discussion with a friend who decided to get a quad-core APU laptop for light-gaming but mainly school. It sits in his small dorm room, is basically silent and cost $600. He also hooked it up to a Samsung 22", 1920x1080 monitor via HDMI to get video AND sound, and uses a Logitech mouse/keyboard with the micro-USB connection so he can leave it in at all times even in his case.

He plays these games on his $600 laptop:
Torchlight, Angry Birds, Sam&Max, Bastion, Magicka, L4D2 (not sure of settings), Super Meat Boy, Serious Sam HD and Command&Conquer 3.

(He's pretty pleased and got all his games, on sale, at STEAM.)

killer8297

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for the advice but that's a huge budget that I'm not willing to spent. The reason I want to switch the is because I can get the acer for for $400, switching the cpu would make it a $700 machine. I'm not looking for a complete gaming experience on a portable laptop, more of casual gaming on the go, I have a good desktop for that. Of course I'm doing my research first before I break anything.