Solved! switching display between 2 laptops and 1 monitor?

Nov 16, 2020
Hello, I have 2 laptops, one work and one personal, but only one monitor. I'd like to be able to switch between what is being actively displayed on the monitor.

My monitor is a Philips 4K Ultra HD LCD monitor; my personal laptop is an ASUS running a GTX 1660 Ti; and my work is a Thinkpad. I've currently connected the 3 with an HDMI splitter (HDMI Switch 4K HDMI Splitter-Techole Aluminum Bi-Directional HDMI Switcher: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JQ9XXV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and these are the HDMI cables used (www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI88XEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The splitter works perfectly with the Thinkpad, but when connected to my personal, the screen glitches, flickers in an out and has given me the screen that resembles the fuzzy static screen. I'm currently using the recommended resolution 3840x2160 with a 60Hz refresh rate.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Seems like the switch you bough is faulty, exchange it, try same model or try a different one. The better quality HDMI switchers are a lot more expensive, in the $50 and up range, so you may need to try a few of the cheaper ones to find one that works well.
Seems like the switch you bough is faulty, exchange it, try same model or try a different one. The better quality HDMI switchers are a lot more expensive, in the $50 and up range, so you may need to try a few of the cheaper ones to find one that works well.

Solution
HDMI is a fussy interface. Cables need to be manufactured with great precision. As one moves to higher resolutions such as 4K, the fussiness increases. I agree with the prior responder that the switch may be bad (or low quality). Same goes for the cables. I've had issues with cheap cables. You may need to spend a little more money for better quality stuff. I can't speak to this cable first hand, but good reviews on Amazon for Ivanky cables.