Solved! System Crash Issue

May 25, 2018
I have an Acer Aspire 5750G Laptop. Specifications : Intel Core i3 2310M, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Samsung SSD 750EVO (Upgraded from normal hard drive in december 2016)**, Nvidia GeForce GT520M, running on Windows 7 Home Premium. The first problem I am facing is that, after every boot up, I cannot load even a single application (firefox, netbeans etc.) for nearly 2-3 minutes. After that, the system shows speed. And second problem I am facing (from past 3-4 days) is that, when I am playing some game (I have only one game which I play- its a bit graphic consuming, Railworks TS12), my laptop after around 20-25 mins of game time, blacks out, windows crashes and turns off without any prior warning. When I turn it on again, it shows "windows did not shut down properly last time...". One thing I am noticing is that, when system crashes, the CPU temperature is touching 85 deg. C and GPU temp. around 80 deg. C.
What is causing this problem ? Any thing related to SSD ? and also plz tell about that slow start problem regarding SSD in the starting.

Solution
I'm sure your ssd will be fine, they're hardy things. It very well might be high ambient temperatures causing your issue. But other than cleaning out your system for better airflow, i'm not sure.

Delete any programs you don't want in start up

"From the Start menu, click All Programs, and then click Startup.
Right-click the program you don't want to open at startup and click Delete"

But it is a 7 year old system, my own laptop (6 years) is starting to feel the load with todays technology, perhaps this new laptop will be your best bet should you not want to mess with your current one any longer.

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
That laptop has a good age to it. Sounds like a heating issue, perhaps a bit of thermal throttling causing slow startups. Have you ever had the laptop open to give it a good clean? Has the thermal paste ever been replaced?

May 25, 2018
@woodmass14. The last time I opened it up was back in decemeber 2016 and that too only for replacing RAM and adding SSD into it. Never got to CPU to change its thermal paste. By the way, where I am living- the outside temp. is it self crossing 40 deg. C. Thermal paste has never been replaced. And this thermal issue is arising this season only. I mean I have used it in winters too but never faced such a problem.

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
It could be a number of reasons but as you've stated that the temperatures get high you could try ruling that one out first. You might be fine leaving the thermal paste as is as that only really needs replaced if you separated the processor from the heatsink. Which leaves dust as a culprit. Get yourself a torch or use the one on your phone and shine it in the intake and exhaust to see any visible signs of dust build up. It also might be an issue with your computers fan. I've had to replace my own twice on my laptop from 2012. Use a can of compressed air or if you feel confident enough to open it up then you can do a better job at clearing up 7 years worth of dust.

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

Defiantly don't use a can of deodorant. Type in compressed air in google and it'll show you products. Your ssd may be bottlenecked by your cpu. If your cpu is thermal throttling at start up then your ssd has to wait for the processor to catch up. Depending on how many crashes you've had, it could have caused some errors on the ssd. It could also be the amount of start up programs you have going on. Perhaps backup and important data and do a fresh install of windows. Years of junk will do that, sometimes starting fresh is a good thing to do. What are your idle temperatures?

May 25, 2018
I haven't done a fresh install of windows since dec. 2016 (time when I bought ssd). From last few days I was thinking to shift to ubuntu but I really don't like linux much. I will be into coding within some days, thats why I was thinking to shift to linux. Dual boot is also which I don't like. It ultimately slows down system startup. Idle temperature would be in the range 60-70 deg. C as of current enviromental temp. Outside. In winters, it won't go beyond 60 deg. C even in the worst case. I more concerned about my ssd, because I will be buying a new lappy soon and putting the ssd in it.

woodmass14

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
I'm sure your ssd will be fine, they're hardy things. It very well might be high ambient temperatures causing your issue. But other than cleaning out your system for better airflow, i'm not sure.

Delete any programs you don't want in start up

"From the Start menu, click All Programs, and then click Startup.
Right-click the program you don't want to open at startup and click Delete"

But it is a 7 year old system, my own laptop (6 years) is starting to feel the load with todays technology, perhaps this new laptop will be your best bet should you not want to mess with your current one any longer.

Solution
May 25, 2018
Just an off topic question. I will be entering by engineering (4 yr B.Tech CSE), for coding/programming stuff, what specifications would be the best for a laptop ? I have finalized a laptop with these specs - core i5 7200u, 8gb ddr4 ram, 1tb hdd (+ i will upgrade with my own ssd), nvidia geforce GT940MX. How is that ? Mainly I'd be into python & netbeans.