Solved! System won\'t recognize widescreen display after Win7 upgrade

CaptainNeatoman

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hey everyone.

Since almost every problem I've eve come across can be solved by a search engine, I consider posting to a forum myself to be a last resort. That, however, is where I've come to.

I recently repurposed my older PC - which was running XP - as an HTPC. I hooked it up to my plasma display (a Pioneer PDP-500C I THINK. The model number is on the back and taking the thing off my wall to double check it would be an all day project.)

This particular display is pretty old, and predates HDMI inputs. It doesn't even have DVI. I hooked up my PC using a regular old VGA cable and it worked just fine (the PC has dual GeForce 6800 graphics cards).

Then yesterday I got the bright idea to upgrade to Windows 7. The upgrade went smoothly and everything's fine... except the PC now refuses to believe that I have a widescreen display. The only resolutions it will give me are 4x3, and they appear on my screen with bars on the left and right to make them fit.

I have already hit up 3dguru for Powerstrip and tried every driver I could find for both the monitor and my 6800s. Nothing is working. Can anybody help me out here?

Again, here are my specs:

Windows 7
Motherboard: A8N-SLI deluxe
2gb RAM
Graphics: Dual GeForce 6800
Display: Pioneer PDP-500C HD
VGA connection only

Thanks
Steve

Solution
i had a problem with my pc after going from xp to win 7. my monitor did not even come on. just black screen. check you graphics displays. chip sets. if in dout download slimdrivers it will do it all for you free.

puntojay

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
i had a problem with my pc after going from xp to win 7. my monitor did not even come on. just black screen. check you graphics displays. chip sets. if in dout download slimdrivers it will do it all for you free.

Solution