T-Mobile Has a $10 Android; New Tethering Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
God when will providers wake up and quit charging for tethering. It's UNLIMITED DATA, why charge because you chose to use it on something other than your phone? If you consume 1gb of data on your phone, why should that 1gb cost more because you used it on your laptop?

fans 6

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Bloody hell.

I can finally jump in the smartphone bandwagon.....This phone is as important to bringing something to the masses like..........The Bessemer process was to steel.

wow, thank you t-mobile. I will cancel my contract with AT&T now!

I admit there may be some gimmicks with this phone, but wow, this is great.

The Toyota corolla had gimmicks, but it still brought transport to many.

toofly

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Wait, am I about to lose my unlimited data when tethering from my Nexus 1?? Fuck that!! That is seriously the only reason I stayed with T-mobile and didn't switch to Verizon.

Nesto1000

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Ah sweet! I'm not much for smart phones cuz they're too expensive for me, and I have no need for mobile internet, so this is perfect for me! :)

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I think the networks fail to realize that while that charging extra for tethering crap may work on a locked-down platform, there are plenty of free apps on Android that provide tethering for free.

G

@firebee1991 I think they can tell if ur tethering even if its with an app on the market and if u don't have there tethering package they'll charge u buy the mb! I never tether anymore but I don't like the fact that there basically taking something we've had for free for all these years and are now charging for it. They also slow ur internet speeds if u go over 5gbs of data in a month.(not really unlimited) any how my G2 is an awesome phone so I won't leave them just for that everyone else charges for tethering to

jincuteguy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2002
Is the new $10 - 200mb data plan only for the low end smartphones? Or for all phones including the high end smartphones like the Samsung Vibrant and MyTouch 4G? anyone knows?

Amen2That

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
T-Mobile previously offered tethering at no additional charge because the didn't have an official policy. The also didn't throttle you down until you hit ~10GB/month. But now, it's stated in their TOS with the throttle point set at 5GB/month for the same $30/month and they charge you the extra $15/month for tethering.

Why you ask? Well, a while back some people did a lot of whining and complaining. One such person by the name of Trent Alvarez, decided to file a class action lawsuit against T-Mobile over throttling--particularly on the issue as to why unlimited was not truly unlimited as it were. There were even those who supported Mr. Alvarez in his fight for the little guy because no big company is gonna push us little consumer around, right? Right. Well, the lawyers and Mr. Alvarez may get what they want (i.e. $$$), those that supported his cause get to be right, T-Mobile gets to charge more for the same service even if it has to state the limits more clearly now, but the rest of us are getting the shaft.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]specter0420[/nom]If a post has more than 3-4 dollar signs why is it not automatically flagged as spam Toms?[/citation]
+ 1000

G

My Verizon Android phone has free tethering. Take that Verizon! And thanks to the people on the forums that tought me how to root my phone.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
"$30 per month for unlimited data from the carrier"
Ummm.... My wife and I only pay $20
And my phone comes with software that allows me to "tether" for no charge...
Even if that wasn't the case there has to be a way to hack it and allow data access from your phone. I just don't bother cause it's too damn slow.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
this is stupid, oh well at least im sticking with rooted g1 for the basics its still a great phone so long as you stay within its hardware limits and know the limits, otherwise its a cheap and fast phone with froyo :)

I refuse to pay for contract thats why myself and my family are all on EM+ plan screw the contracts, this is after we had been customers for who knows how long, I dont care to ever go back to a contract unless the day comes when you get true unlimited data for about 10-15 a month... I guess that will be very very long time so I dont really care, wifi will take over anyway by that time :p

majority of large public places I have been to now have a number of open wifi hot spots, and the only time internet on the phone might be nice is hmm in the car for gps... but oh wait I can buy the cheapo gps devices for dirt cheap without the need for internet...

if more and more ppl would get of the contracts the carriers will wake up and start to push more appealing off contract options

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
wow bandwidth is really cheap, they must be making an astronomical profit margin on those 200mb plans, you might actually have to use scientific notation to express how huge they really are.

jojesa

Distinguished
I will jump between wifi spots before giving you another cent T-Mobile.
Talk about nickel and dime customers.
Customers have to pay for a phone plan then a text plan and then data (internet) plan and on top of that T-Mobile wants us to pay again for the data plan. Geez

Status
Not open for further replies.