Tablet Drop Test: iPad 2 vs. Xoom vs. Galaxy Tab

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

was it just me or did it seem like the guy put a little force into the galaxy drop and the drop height look a little higher too ???

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
LOL, so many comments on this.
Just FYI, this isn't a myth busters episode. They aren't using scientific method in these lil experiments. They need to build a test device to drop them at exactly the same hight and angle so they hit the ground. And make sure the ground doesn't have any gravel or anything. How do we know that one of the tablets didn't land on a small piece of gravel? We don't. And scientific method says we have to do multiple tests to reach a conclusion, for all we know the one of the tablets could have had a rare manufacturing defect in it that the other tablets weren't victim to.

So what have we learned? The "only" thing we can "prove" in this video, is that these dudes wasted about a $1000 or more in hardware on a video that proves "nothing". Except, they probably made it back in youtube clips. If only you could get paid for longest forum rants.

I think, I am going to make a giant potato gun big enough to launch my ipad out of, and then see how many hits I get with that. I'll launch it at my car just for a double wammy. :D
Yaaay!! I'm DUMB!!

G

Masses:

CryPad2: 610g
XOOm: 710g
Galaxy: 385g

Impact velocity (same for all, Assuming ~ 1m drop height + no air resistance): 4.4m/s

Impact Energies:

CryPad2: 6J
XOOm: 7J
Galaxy: 3.8J

Damage Factor:

CryPad2: $500 - $700
XOOm: $600-$800
Galaxy: $200

No wonder why Galaxy is the least damaged. The Ipad and Xoom are about the same.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]CF[/nom]of all the tablets you never get to see the screen of the Ipad2 before it gets drop (yes im that skeptical)[/citation]

^This, plus there was a cut in the video in between when they dropped the ipad and xoom, and when they picked it up to show it.

Not saying it didn't happen, it just doesn't help at all for the credibility of this video.

What would be even cooler is a super slow motion video of these drop tests to see how the tablets distribute the impact throughout the device.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]ZZZzzz, who cares. Tablets this tablets that. I have yet to see anyone carring around one of the crippled stripped down laptops with no keyboard.[/citation]
I carry my iPad with me where ever I go. My brother has a Xoom and same goes for him. I thought the same thing about tablets... before I owned one. You must not own one.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]gmarsack[/nom]I carry my iPad with me where ever I go. My brother has a Xoom and same goes for him. I thought the same thing about tablets... before I owned one. You must not own one.[/citation]
I own a tablet....not a Xoom, Galaxy or iPad, but it's a tablet none-the-less. I find it impossible to justify the cost of such a gimped device. My tablet, for the most part, stays on the table. I've found that without the keyboard it's more of an irritation to use than anything else. The touch screen is very uncomfortable and rather difficult to type on.

G

I think the focus on drop test was totally wrong for those persons. The creativity and usability is the key of succession of a product, better ask yourself if you buy a ipad or Xoom or Galaxy, because they are better on drop test? In reality, I think the Samsung will definitely failed on the market, even they are good at drop test. The reason is simple. who's care....

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
It was a fairly stupid test, should take common sense to NOT drop these devices on concrete.

I have dropped many a cell phone on the street, sidewalk and our favorite... carpeted floor like anyone else. After 10+ years of using a cell-phone. My Samsung Galaxy S shattered instantly at waist height. My previous phone, a SONY SLIDER has been dropped dozens of times and still works... its my backup phone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.