Task Scheduler, waking from sleep as an alarm clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godsninja

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hi, I'm having trouble using task scheduler with windows. What I'm trying to do is use my laptop as an alarm clock. I usually take my battery out and put the computer to sleep before I hit the hay, and I'd like it if my laptop awoke from sleep, turned iTunes on, and started playing music, to wake me up.

I've searched the forum as well as Google the problem, but nothing anyone says helps, and I couldn't find the same problem as I'm having.

I'd actually like to do more than that, like somehow connect the rooms in my light so they turn on at the same time as my laptop w/ music, but that's for later.

My laptop is an HP Pavilion g6, Intel Core i3 CPU M380 @ 2.53 GHz using Windows 7. I think my motherboard is an Intel HM55 Express Chip set LPC Interface Controller 3B09.

I read somewhere that I need to make sure my BIOS is compatible to be awaken from hibernate. I don't know how to check that, and I don't know if it matters that I want to wake it from sleep instead of hibernate. I've successfully got the task scheduler to play music, but I couldn't get it to open iTunes and to play it through that.

Also, no matter what I do I can't create a task that wakes my laptop up from sleep, and this is SOOOOOO frustrating. I've done many different combinations, it should be working.

Here is what I've done so far:
- checked 'run whether user is logged on or not'
- checked 'do not store password: the task will only have access to local resources'
- checked 'run with highest privileges'
- chose configure for: windows 7
- triggered to begin the task only on a daily schedule, as well as on idle (like as in sleep?)
- unchecked all advanced settings except for 'enabled'
- set action as 'start a program', chose the script as:"C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe"
- added argument as:"C:\Users\Tomi\Music\My Songs\Flux Pavilion\Gold Dust (Flux Pavilion Remix).mp3"
- checked/set the only condition as 'wake the computer to run this task'
- checked the settings: 'allow task to be run on demand', 'run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed' and 'if the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop'
- no history enabled

With these settings, the song starts playing while the computer is on normally in desktop, but does NOT wake the computer from sleep.

I've included as much info as I can. I have no idea why this isn't working, because it should. I tried to do this myself because the interface is fairly simple, but I can't, and most online guide instructions are plain and only explain everything that's self-explanatory. It doesn't make any sense to me, this should be working. If there's anything else you need to know, just ask.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.