TDK Reveals 1TB Optical Disc; Blu-ray Frowns

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]cbrownx88[/nom]Disc's are out of date though...give me a flash drive[/citation]
Yes, lord knows I want to back up 1TB of data on ultra expensive flash drive(s)... to ultra expensive flash drive(s). :/
I need to borrow the money tree Congress is using!

This technology is OBVIOUSLY not meant to replace flash, or even conventional HDDs. It's an evolution of blu-ray.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]Today we have reached a new milestone! We have a disk with enough space to backup the entirety of everything stored in the human brain!We began our tests with the cast of Jersey Shore and sadly found we only needed 2 floppy disks...[/citation]
I bet they were 5.25" floppies, really old ones. Not 1.2s, not 720s, but 360KB per disk!

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
"The company added that the new disc's symbol error rate for reading data was low enough for commercialization (from 1 x 10-5 to 1 x 10-4) and would be ideal for broadcasting services, backing up data, and recording multimedia at home."

That seems like a pretty high error rate for backup media unless you resort to some kind of error correction.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]Today we have reached a new milestone! We have a disk with enough space to backup the entirety of everything stored in the human brain!We began our tests with the cast of Jersey Shore and sadly found we only needed 2 floppy disks...[/citation]

Which one? The 3 1/2", the 5 1/4" or the 8"? I'll just assume the 8".

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Yes, lord knows I want to back up 1TB of data on ultra expensive flash drive(s)... to ultra expensive flash drive(s). I need to borrow the money tree Congress is using!This technology is OBVIOUSLY not meant to replace flash, or even conventional HDDs. It's an evolution of blu-ray.[/citation]

And BluRay sucks. The read/write times are ridiculous and the drives are really expensive. There is no practical way to use this disc unless the write speed is close to or surpassing that of CDs. 48x+ is what I say would be the minimum write speed necessary for this to ever be practical.

G

I bet they were 5.25" floppies, really old ones. Not 1.2s, not 720s, but 360KB per disk!

Actually, the really old ones were 90K. I remember upgrading to a Northstar with its new double density floyys at 180K per disk. Storage space without limits!!!!

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]There is no practical way to use this disc unless the write speed is close to or surpassing that of CDs. 48x+ is what I say would be the minimum write speed necessary for this to ever be practical.[/citation]

Um, they are.

1x Blu-Ray is defined as 36Mbps (4.5 MB/sec), 48x CD-ROM is 7,200 KB/sec, so your standard 2x Blu-Ray burn is around 2 MB per second faster than a 48x CD-R burn.

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]And how do you stop it from getting scratched.......???That's a pretty easy way to loose 1TB of data.....[/citation]

It uses durabis coating just like any other bluray which makes it practically impossible to scratch. You can watch you tube videos of people grinding the discs into the pavement and still no scratches due to the armor like coating they put on blurays.

Wheat_Thins

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]And BluRay sucks. The read/write times are ridiculous and the drives are really expensive. There is no practical way to use this disc unless the write speed is close to or surpassing that of CDs. 48x+ is what I say would be the minimum write speed necessary for this to ever be practical.[/citation]

You pwned yourself with your own ignorance.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Dkz[/nom]Yeah, wait until bluray becomes as cheaper as DVDs then we'll talk about business[/citation]

So see you in about 6 months then?

Status
Not open for further replies.