Teen Accidentally Shoots Brother While Posing for Facebook Pic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Stupid people dying stupidly . . . not an earth-shattering revelation. This is the problem with Hollywood's idiots using firearms without demonstrating proper trigger discipline--though lately they have gotten better about it.

Here's a clue for all you "gansta" wannabees, you don't put your finger on the trigger until/unless you want the gun to go "BANG!" Keep your finger OUT OF THE TRIGGER GUARD.

Oh yeah, and . . . GUNS ARE NOT TOYS, they're tools intended for a specific purpose. Misuse any tool and you can be injured of killed. I wouldn't play a "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" game with a chainsaw either.

There is no cure for stupidity . . . except death, of course

G

Why is it that the belligerent asshole gun nuts always and I mean always use this kind of tragedy to "educate" people about guns? Has that helped? Have gun-related deaths declined because somebody went on the internet and explained that you shouldn't put your finger on the trigger of a loaded gun unless you want to shoot it? No. We have a lot of gun-related deaths in the USA because we have a lot of guns. And a lot of gun nuts, come to think of it. These kinds of incidents happen at NRA-sponsored events, like the Connecticut gun show where the child shot himself with a machine gun.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]master9716[/nom]Look at all the nerds " why is this on toms /cry " shut the hell up nerds no one cares what you think . Its on toms bc facebook is involved . I thought it was good news , if you are posing pics with guns on facebook then someone was probably going to shoot you anyways bc you think your hard.[/citation]
if you dont care what they think, and yet, you seem to think other people will care what you think, then you are part of americas problem.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]jbemanuel[/nom]Why is it that the belligerent asshole gun nuts always and I mean always use this kind of tragedy to "educate" people about guns? Has that helped? Have gun-related deaths declined because somebody went on the internet and explained that you shouldn't put your finger on the trigger of a loaded gun unless you want to shoot it? No. We have a lot of gun-related deaths in the USA because we have a lot of guns. And a lot of gun nuts, come to think of it. These kinds of incidents happen at NRA-sponsored events, like the Connecticut gun show where the child shot himself with a machine gun.[/citation]
because son, guns dont kill people, people kill people. stupid people are often left unharmed though, as they are the cause of said death. in the end, stupid people will keep living.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
They need to ban Facebook, if it did not exist this guy would still be alive. (This pile of crap is sponsored by the NRA, remember guns never killed anybody.)

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You may want to check on that basic concept of physical presence/non-presence. I can pretty much guarantee that if there was no gun there, education or not, no one would have been shot.[/citation]
No, they would be playing with knives, or bats, or steel chairs, or a car basically someone was gonna get hurt cause they are not smart people.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
*sigh*....
ok...

So, lets go over the mistakes...
1. The gun did not have a gun lock on it
(She could have posed with the gun and just hidden the trigger lock with her hand or fingers but I'm guessing the owner didn't even have a trigger lock.)
2. The gun was loaded
(If you are gonna let someone pose or "play with" a gun TAKE THE BULLETS OUT!! That includes any that might already be in the chamber [depending on the type of gun].)
3. The safety was off
(You can't even pull the trigger if the safety is on.)
4. The gun was pointed at a person
(Loaded or unloaded a gun should NEVER be pointed at a person. A complete unloaded gun should always be treated like it is loaded and the safety is off and ready to fire.)

This is all stuff I learned in a gun safety class. I'm guessing these idiots know nothing of the subject. I'm not surprised either, I took my gun safety class when I was a teen for hunting reasons. Judging by the picture I'd guess these are inner city kids that think guns are cool. Why else would you pose with a gun on facebook?

jojesa

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]*sigh*....ok...So, lets go over the mistakes...1. The gun did not have a gun lock on it(She could have posed with the gun and just hidden the trigger lock with her hand or fingers but I'm guessing the owner didn't even have a trigger lock.)2. The gun was loaded(If you are gonna let someone pose or "play with" a gun TAKE THE BULLETS OUT!! That includes any that might already be in the chamber [depending on the type of gun].)3. The safety was off(You can't even pull the trigger if the safety is on.)4. The gun was pointed at a person(Loaded or unloaded a gun should NEVER be pointed at a person. A complete unloaded gun should always be treated like it is loaded and the safety is off and ready to fire.)This is all stuff I learned in a gun safety class. I'm guessing these idiots know nothing of the subject. I'm not surprised either, I took my gun safety class when I was a teen for hunting reasons. Judging by the picture I'd guess these are inner city kids that think guns are cool. Why else would you pose with a gun on facebook?[/citation]
These apply to people with a little bit of common sense.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Clearly this is Facebook's fault! They need to be banned! They are enticing people to do crazy things with guns. Somebody think of the children!!!

Using a gun while drunk is already illegal. I'm not seeing how there can be an argument for gun control or safety here. What they did was already illegal! You can't legislate stupidity. What about the guy who "accidentally" deliberately shot himself in the scrotum to get on TV? What happened here was horrible. What happened here was entirely preventable. We've got a pair of immature people trying to make themselves look cool on the internet while drunk out of their minds. Sadly, these isolated things happen from time to time.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
OK, so this is a sad story, and I'm sorry to hear about it, but what is this news doing on a tech site? Is just the inclusion of Facebook enough to make it tech news?? I don't think so.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]guavasauce[/nom]because son, guns dont kill people, people kill people. stupid people are often left unharmed though, as they are the cause of said death. in the end, stupid people will keep living.[/citation]
And no matter how much you try to educate some people, they will remain stupid. Worse yet, some stupid person thinking that the gun education course they just took makes them all-knowing about guns, could easily do something like this. Take Dick Chaney for example, and he is supposed to be experienced.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]No, they would be playing with knives, or bats, or steel chairs, or a car basically someone was gonna get hurt cause they are not smart people.[/citation]
Maybe I've missed a few news stories, but I've never heard of a knife, bat, or steel chair going off accidently and blowing a hole in someone. Your premise is nonsense.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]You may want to check on that basic concept of physical presence/non-presence. I can pretty much guarantee that if there was no gun there, education or not, no one would have been shot.[/citation]
The same could be argued about something like automobile fatalities and accidents. Don't be another person that blames the medium, tool, or inanimate object for a situation's outcome, blame the person's actions or carelessness.

Status
Not open for further replies.