Teen Jailed for Facebook Death Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
This is almost as worthless as that
Author of 'Skank' Blog to Sue Google for $15 M article I read on this one really starting-to-appear useless site...
And I think I'll make a similar comment.

Nothing ever makes sense anymore.

justiceguy216

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]Nothing ever makes sense anymore.[/citation]
...and your comment proves this. Not to slam you, just you may want to try reading that aloud, it's rather hard to follow.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I think this is kinda reasonable, 3 months punishment...ya that girl needs to grow up maybe some not so hard time will do that. BUT this does set a dangerous precedence. I think threats of violence are unacceptable but good old shit talking should still be ok lol.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]justiceguy216[/nom]...and your comment proves this. Not to slam you, just you may want to try reading that aloud, it's rather hard to follow.[/citation]

Nothing ever makes sense anymore. Is there something misleading about that? I don't see how there's any other meaning to derive from it.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
okay.....so i really dont see the big deal. its not like she was in person saying that she was going to kill her. it was over facebook. if the girl was serious then she would have said it in person, of which she has had the chance to do so for over four years. people talk a lot more shit when they can do it over the internet because they have something to hide behind.

also, to me this somewhat ties into what kids are listening to and watching these days. its pretty much a given that if somebody is listening to rap 24/7, and it talking about killing people all the time or drugs or sex, then the person becomes numb to it and it doesn't seem like a big deal to them anymore. and its the same way with movies....or even tv for that matter. if the govt. expects for kids to not say such things then they shouldnt be allowing them to be exposed to it as much as they are right now, and the amount of exposure is increasing too. its not so black and white.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
No, I don't agree that the government should be making laws that remove the responsibility of protecting yourself away. WTF am I talking about when was the last time a saw a real merry-go-round..oh. sigh

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To me, article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights should prime above all else: All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. Based on that one should still be able to critic and question one's intention or motives without attacking the person directly.

thirdshop

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]okay.....so i really dont see the big deal. its not like she was in person saying that she was going to kill her. it was over facebook. if the girl was serious then she would have said it in person, of which she has had the chance to do so for over four years. people talk a lot more shit when they can do it over the internet because they have something to hide behind.[/citation]
The problem is that the two people actually do know each other and presumably where the other lives. The perp had two previous convictions. It's equivalent to sending threatening mail.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Believe it or not but threatening to murder someone is something that can be reported to the police and action may be taken. I think this case is warranted, this teen sounds like an asshole and deserves the time. Online or not, sending someone death threats isn't something to joke about.

G

I am somewhat torn on this issue. I believe that things such as death threats are inappropriate be it online or in person. In this especially since the two girls knew each other and it would have been possible to actually carry out the death threat. Then again joking saying saying you are going to kill someone should not be take as an actually treat but the line is rather thin (and depends on the persons sense of hummor and manner of saying it).

But I am extremely fed up with all these people wining about cyber bullying. All of us should be taught coping skills ans self esteem by our parents because in life you should not expect everyone to like you. This is especially true in middle or high school where kids can be vicious (and I had my share of bullying in middle school). Where the whole problem lies is many kids seem to have only virtual friends rather than good friends that they can meet with face to face and have a real and meaningful conversion and talk out issues they may have face to face. The fact that many of these kids are sitting behind a computer rather than facing the person means they are writing nastier things about others that they would probably never have the courage to say face to face. So between people with more fragile personalities and nastier children we should get used to more kids being depressed and some taking their lives. It is funny that many countries now want to legislate what can and cannot be written of forums\blogs and facebook\myspace account. My suggestion is: people get a life that involves something other than sitting in front of the computer engaging in virtual drinks and snowball fights...there is a lot more to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.