Teen Jailed for Refusing to Give Up His Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I was told over and over again at work to NEVER divulge your password. Not to friends, especially not to family members. Why in the hell would I EVER give it up to law enforcement? It is privileged information.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 made it an offence with withhold passwords and access keys to hard drives – a crime that Drage is now charged with.
Should have used a Solid State Drive...

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
This is old now, but anyway; He obviously has illegal content on his drives, and I'm not condoning whatever he has on those drives, but 16 weeks imprisonment is hell of a lot better than whatever he could get for said illegal content.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Should have used a Solid State Drive...[/citation]

Haha yeah. Though I haven't actually read the bill...it probably covers all types of (semi)permanent storage.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Lewis57[/nom]This is old now, but anyway; He obviously has illegal content on his drives, and I'm not condoning whatever he has on those drives, but 16 weeks imprisonment is hell of a lot better than whatever he could get for said illegal content.[/citation]
I absolutely loathe that attitude! If you've got nothing to hide then why not comply with the police who want to search your car, your computer... where does it end. How about if the police decide to just start doing door-to-door home searches. If you're not hiding anything, you should have no reason to object.

Look, the guy is probably hiding something. But the burden of proof is on the police. Making it a crime to withhold passwords? Why not just waterboard the guy until he confesses. Or better yet, let's hook a car battery up to his testicles. No, I know... let's just work his ass over until he gives up the goods. Nah... that's barbaric! We can't torture people. Let's just put him in jail for 20 years or until he gives up the password and incriminates himself so we can put him in jail for 15 years.

Fortunately, in the free (for now) United States, we have the 5th Amendment protection against self-incrimination. I do concur with epol, in the absense of such protection, he should just claim that he forgot.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
The Daily Mail characterizes Drage's 50-character encryption as "sophisticated," which probably isn't untrue given that UK authorities has still yet to crack his password after 17 months of trying.[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Should have used a Solid State Drive...[/citation]
On second thoughts, SSDs weren't very easy to get 17 months ago.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jrnyfan[/nom]shoulda used true crypt and given them the password to a fake shell OS[/citation]
very crafty idea..i almost want to attempt this and ask law enforcement to try and break it :p

G

submit to police for what ever reason they think up? you should go live in China JELLICO where that sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I am from the UK and I have strong encrypted files on my PC that I do not know the password to as I change my password every month and I can only remember the past few month’s passwords. If the police raided me I would be unable to gave them all of the passwords to the files on my computer. Is it now illegal to forget your passwords?

prozium42

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]Haha technology win for the 1st time ))[/citation]
Ah yes, cheering for the pedophile's use of technology.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]highlife[/nom]I guess they don't have a 5th amendment equivalent in the UK?[/citation]

thats one of the many reasons we fought a war against them in the 1770s

Status
Not open for further replies.