Teen Killed in Internet Addiction Camp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Like fat people, persons with "internet disease" deserve death, like this individual.

His father can just make another kid that looks just like him.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Now you know why there is so little violent crime (like robberies, rape) in China and very low rates of repeat criminal activity. This was only a boot camp for children, imagine what Chinese jail is like. No one who survives jail in China wants to go back and so they stop their criminal behavior.

I'm in favor of Chinese style prisons where prisoners are told they are a scourge to society and they should take it as a blessing if they are allowed to rejoin society (that is survive). There aren't any TVs, books, or entertainment. Prisoners have to work and also have to write an essay every day (at least in the past for political prisoners) on why they were wrong to do what they did and how they are reformed now. The then go into a room where a several people hear the prisoner recite his essay. The "rehabilitators" then shout at the prisoner accusing him of BS and insincerity. He is then led back to his cell and told to think about what was shouted and write another essay tomorrow, this time with sincerity.

The thing is that this actually works. When a person is forced to write and "pretend" to believe in something (what he did was wrong), eventually he WILL believe it given enough time. We should force our prisoners to write daily essays too.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Sad story, his parents must be devastated. He was probably their only kid.

I can these opening in America and being just as bad. . .

If you really want to cure someone of internet addiction, it would be probably be a better idea to let them have lots of fun doing other activities, rather than being tough on them. If the kids find out that being outside and playing games with other kids in social environment is fun then they may just want to spend more time doing just that.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
“Our methods are tough but do not include torture or other methods that might damage a child’s health,”

Kicking and hitting don't damage a child's health!!!???
Last time I checked, death had a very negative impact on a person's health.
So now they will just scream insult's and obscenities at the child till he/she breaks and ends up at the top of a clock tower.

"I am in a world of S%#!".

G

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever"

-George Orwell, "1984" page192 (also the official motto of the Chinese government)

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
“Our methods are tough but do not include torture or other methods that might damage a child’s health,”

Without even that bit in their advertisement... This is just wrong and messed up knowing they beat a 16yo at the camp. Who , their fu*king trainers. I hope they announce their beheadings soon. Seriously. Since they don't seem to have issues with torture and abuse in their country I'll be expecting to hear about it.

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Yes why is it the Chinese race is so vulnerable to internet addiction? I always heard about addicting internet stuff over in China. I think it's the fact that their a 3rd world country. Do we really need to be exposing the third world to a fantasy land to them called the internet?

evolve60

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
And as if we don't have internet addicts in North America? Japan? Other parts of the world? Hmm, in japan their called NEETs in China their sent to boot camp, in America their called people with disorders and so for some reason China is bad for something like this? smarten up people shit like this happens everywhere, i don't see people complaining when some fucked up shit happens in America, at least not to the extent you people are.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Firstly, China is not a 3rd world country. 2nd world is probably more accurate, but it's far more advanced than a lot of people think. It has regions that are 3rd world, but it's unfair to go calling it a 3rd world country as a whole.

That said: the severity of internet addiction in China does show us that much of the countries population is just not socially ready for internet or technology based interaction without it having adverse effects. You can't have such a demanding and oppressive government (where people are afraid to fart in public) and expect people to have the social skills and confidence to deal with a bit of internet withdrawal. Especially when for a lot of folks you are pretty much just plonking technology in front of their faces in the name of "China's progress", without allowing them to develop socially so that they may use it as a tool instead of a complete social diversion. And then what, after all this technology, we are back at square one, treating the side effects with boot camps and beatings. Real progress you got there China.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Firstly, China is not a 3rd world country. 2nd world is probably more accurate, but it's far more advanced than a lot of people think. It has regions that are 3rd world, but it's unfair to go calling it a 3rd world country as a whole.

That said: the severity of internet addiction in China does show us that much of the countries population is just not socially ready for internet or technology based interaction without it having adverse effects. You can't have such a demanding and oppressive government (where people are afraid to fart in public) and expect people to have the social skills and confidence to deal with a bit of internet withdrawal. Especially when for a lot of folks you are pretty much just plonking technology in front of their faces in the name of "China's progress", without allowing them to develop socially so that they may use it as a tool instead of a complete social diversion. And then what, after all this technology, we are back at square one, treating the side effects with boot camps and beatings. Real progress you got there China.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Well I consider the US a 2nd world nation at this point.

But with that said, if anyone in anyway is suprised by this; then you apparently havnt brushed up on your Chinese history.

witty

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
"Now you know why there is so little violent crime (like robberies, rape) in China and very low rates of repeat criminal activity. This was only a boot camp for children, imagine what Chinese jail is like. No one who survives jail in China wants to go back and so they stop their criminal behavior.

I'm in favor of Chinese style prisons where prisoners are told they are a scourge to society and they should take it as a blessing if they are allowed to rejoin society (that is survive). There aren't any TVs, books, or entertainment. Prisoners have to work and also have to write an essay every day (at least in the past for political prisoners) on why they were wrong to do what they did and how they are reformed now. The then go into a room where a several people hear the prisoner recite his essay. The "rehabilitators" then shout at the prisoner accusing him of BS and insincerity. He is then led back to his cell and told to think about what was shouted and write another essay tomorrow, this time with sincerity.

The thing is that this actually works. When a person is forced to write and "pretend" to believe in something (what he did was wrong), eventually he WILL believe it given enough time. We should force our prisoners to write daily essays too."

they call it being institutionalized, usually by the time you get out of school your sufficiently institutionalized to be a good hard working sheep making all your owners rich. sometimes it doesnt work out so well and you need to be re-institutionalized.

china's system is more effective, i agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.