Teen Shoots Self After Leaving Facebook Updates

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derstarke

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
"We" is too vague a pronoun here. By "we" do you mean the mass "we" that barely knows the acquaintances we stalk on Facebook? Or do you mean "we" as in "we" are very good friends and I see and talk to this person more than just on social networking sites?

I think that the online world is, and never will be (in our lifetimes anyway), more than a supplement to real world interactions. And when it replaces real world interactions, it is both physically and mentally unhealthy. If this guy was posting depressing thoughts, surely someone knew him well enough to know the context.

Though on the flip-side, I do see this as an opportunity to help people having emotional problems that we may not otherwise have noticed before. But I'm still in favor of the other side of the argument.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I actually boycot Facebook and Twitter but as it too open comunity full of spam and jerks, but it really sometimes help just to went your problems with other people. Friends helped me a lot on my last semester on university when my mother died, without their help I would not kill myself, but doubt I would get degree.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
The total number of registered users taken into account, very few utilize the forums. I don't think the feature is popular enough to be monitored for hints of social instability among the members.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Not only is your logic flawed but it is also ignorant. You are very quick to shoot down a theory to only suggest what you think is a superior one. Scientists are at odds about how the universe started, but they have more proof then you do of a God. Do I believe in a superior being? I am not sure, whether it be God/Buddha/Zeus/etc, I believe there could be but am unsure. But again, you say that the scientists are wrong because of where did the matter that exploded come from, well where did this superior being come from? This is exactly why this is such a big deal, no one knows and I dont think anyone will ever know. PS: The chicken did NOT come first, long before chickens there were dinosaur eggs, the question only asks about an egg and does nothing to specify the type of egg. Either way this has nothing to do with religious believes. Most people do not kill themselves to go to heaven (or where ever) nor do they do it because they believe that it will solve the problem. They mostly do it to end the pain. So please do not drag religion and off topic matters into the discussion (god/universe/etc), also you do not need to make 3 posts right after each other (Edit button....). Lastly I apologize to everyone for going off on a rant about the off topic matter.[/citation]
Why don't you just ignore those people? They're just mad that their glorified theories failed to become part of science class in the 90s

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
you have to be seriously messed up in the head to commit suicide, and a coward.

then to leave a suicide note on facebook... looking for attention, trying to provoke guilt?

wow this guy was a lunatic.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
OK I am fed to the teeth with depressed emos and their families blaming social networks for all the woes which all youth experience and have for ages! I was bullied in grade school for having a very thick accent and then I was bashed in high-school for being different - I guess I wasn't hiding in a very deep closet...but come on, those were face to face insults and yeah they were not pleasant but that's what gives you thick skin! Get over yourself and if you feel like slashing your wrists just go talk to your parents or a teacher you like and take charge, and stop blaming everybody and everything and stop being a damned emo!!!!!

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]monkeh[/nom]I just googled "how to slash your wrists" and there was no hotline number, just alot of results on how to kill yourself the fastest. google lied to you.[/citation]

I was bored so i tried it too. It seems only searches involving the words suicide or suicidal bring up the hotline number. Looks to me like google isn't trying very hard lol

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I just googled "committing suicide" and the top result was a Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_methods) with a long list of different ways to commit suicide. There was no hotline listed anywhere.

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I checked on Google and it's only if you search "suicide" that you get a number. I guess they don't have a filter for other key words yet. Hopefully they won't need to invest more time in this. It's sad enough that some people can't find at least one thing that's worth living for.

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I checked on Google and it's only if you search "suicide" that you get a number. I guess they don't have a filter for other key words yet. Hopefully they won't need to invest more time in this. It's sad enough that some people can't find at least one thing that's worth living for.

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I just googled "google i am going to kill myself please give me a hotline number" and it didn't work. The suicide thing must be it. Fail for google.

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]So this guy would nicely fit the definition of "an hero" right? (look it up).[/citation]

An hero's tend to be more epic but I guess it's a pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS