Teenage daughter laptop

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I am considering getting a nice laptop for my daughter. Any people here experinced at being young that can tell me what's better? With a cd/dvd (like Envy14) or without a cd/dvd (like Envy15) Cheap, middle (like HP Pavilion) or Apple like (Envy)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
1. What is your budget? Up to $2,000.00 (Yes, we love her very much. Our TV is only an old 19” sharp, lol)
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 14” or 15”
3. What screen resolution do you want? 900 minimum vertical
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Both really.
5. How much battery life do you need? I don’t know. 2 hours seems sufficient.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Some. Sims, internet type
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Internet, homework, making stop motion movies lately or personal music type videos. Maybe watch movies. Does video chat with friends. Spend too much time on facebook. Oops too much information … ;)
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? That’s part of my question. She’s having a whole lot of fun with our home PC and that only has Vista/80gigs/GTS250/8400.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. My history with HP is very good so … http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=landing&landing=notebooks
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 4 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I’m leaning towards, DVD ROM/Writer external, but that’s part of my question.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I really don’t have a preference. But would like durability.
13. What country do you live in? Suffolk county USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. It’s for a Teenage girl, in high school. I’m hoping that says a lot …

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

I know you said you were partial to HP laptops, but you may also want to check out the Dell Studio 15. I think it will be a great fit for your teenage daughter. It has a fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. This laptop will be perfect for schoolwork, internet surfing, and watching movies. It is also not too heavy to lug around at 5.5 lbs, but still has a nice sized screen. It's also available in several fun colors.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Solution

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi,

The Dell Studio XPS 16 is another great choice, especially if she will want to play more graphic-intense games eventually or do some video editing. It is a great multimedia laptop!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team