Teenager Injured By Exploding iPhone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
brendano257, stop being so f-ing stupid. The Iphone compared to the overall cell phone market share (not to mention the overall battery market) is measly at best.

If 0 out of billions of every other cell phone don't explode, and even only 2 out of millions of Iphones explode, they're still doing infinitely worse than every other manufacturer.

And besides, quit being such a fan boy, no matter how you slice it, the story is damn funny, even if it isn't a common occurrence. It's like when Bill Gates was demoing windows 98 and it BSODed on him. It's just funny.

And you do realize that you're saying that since you, owning two or three out of 100s of millions of devices have never had a problem personally, everything they do must be good, you're making the same generalizations as everybody else on the board, just in the other direction.

imspecial

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom] Considering this is 2 out of MILLIONS of products that have been sold. Stop being so stupid and ignorant with your raging about Apple about only a few rare incidents. Now if it was given the 5% or even 10% of iPhones/Touches exploder, there is a reason to complain, or even 1%, but seriously stop being so fucking stupid, it's 2 iPhones out of millions.[/citation]

Last time I checked, Apple tries to cover up incidences like these... hence those letters or w/e in the past two articles that have shown up on Tom's.

I'm wondering how many people took the refund/replacement for their exploding ipod/iphone instead of bringing it up on a blog or saying something to a news group.

Just my 2 cents worth.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
In my opinion apple needs to sue him, did he buy the "self destruct" app or did he download it illegally? But in all seriousness it's not a good thing that a phone that is dropped reacts like this but at least they are not doing this during normal use.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
the par5t that keeps getting me is teh refund clause that the people who take a refund are not allwoed to talk about teh incident , this sound liek an obvious design flaw , that Apple is lazyly trying to cover up instead of actually fixing.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]Did anyone catch the point that they don't just randomly explode? All this Apple bashing is utterly INSANE. Personally I found iPods to be very drop-proof, I've dropped my old Nano so many times (and a washer/dryer incident) and it's still alive and kicking. My new Touch hasn't had any issues. A couple of problems should not deter the average user. Considering this is 2 out of MILLIONS of products that have been sold. Stop being so stupid and ignorant with your rageings about Apple about only a few rare incidents. Now if it was given the 5% or even 10% of iPhones/Touches exploder, there is a reason to complain, or even 1%, but seriously stop being so fucking stupid, it's 2 iPhones out of millions.[/citation]

these are just two you hear , about , again refund clauses exsist for areas ,and when a company has a clause like "you can't talk about the malfucntion" that says it is mroe than jsut a random phone blowing up due to being dropped

dingumf

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]iPhone (verb): to have bodily harm inflicted by shrapnel from exploding consumer electronics devices.examplesParis Hilton is such a bitch; i wish she'd get iPhonedA: Dude, what the hell happened to you? Where'd those scars come from?B: My iPhone exploded, got me in the face, and when I tried to complain to Apple, the next thing I knew I woke up in a bathtub of ice; minus a kidney![/citation]

You're a fucking loser that's not even one bit funny.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
You know... if a drug company knowingly sold a drug that could cause blindness - even if extraordinarily rare - without telling customers, they'd be sued to the moon and back. Why shouldn't it be the same with iPhones? They know it's happening and they're trying to cover it up.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
was this an accident? or is apple trying to find a way to covertly kill people? (if they are, they are failing. if not, still fail.....apple is fail)

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Should we let people sue just because they found a new, interesting way to cause their device to fail? That's the question here.

No, the question is, Should people sue because their phone exploded in their face...

And I re-read the warnings in the iPhone user guide and there is absolutely no mention of it possibly exploding. Just fyi

G

"this funny....I have some RC cars that use Li-Polymer batteries (much more unstable than Li-Ion) that I have driven the shit out of and hit all sorts of things with.....they never have blown up on me (and when I say hit shit, I mean at 30+ mph)
Apple is to blame here, not the batteries"

So despite your own experience to the contrary you find these stories credible? LOL

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"the question is what is the expectation of suitable customer use?"
this is always based on previous experiences with similar products.

as far as i'm aware, in the past it was not commonplace to drop a phone and then have it go into nuclear meltdown...

also, these iphones would overheat in an average Australian summer, sure a laptop you can turn off, but usually a phone needs to stay on.

Oh wait, i get it, if you mean "what is the expectation of suitable customer use FOR AN APPLE FANBOY?" then your right, i'm sure they are used to paying through the nose for a p.o.s product they can only use when the stars align correctly!

chikara

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
One Apple finds out how to replicate this, they'll charge an extra $20 for the new 'feature' - a personal safety device!
Someone tries to rob you? No problem - blow up the iPhone in their face! Better than mace...

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Sounds like apple is up to their typical censoring of issues with their products. Remember all the forum posts about bluescreen errors in leopard that suddenly vanished? This is basically the same thing. I'd be betting this is quite common and the apple fanatics are taking their refund and staying quiet to help their beloved apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.