Teenager Injured By Exploding iPhone

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
This makes the Blue Screen Of Death sound less harsh. I've seen a lot of PC's crash, but never feared for the loss of my vision. Imagine this happening to some one with the phone in their front pocket...

Sent from my iSplode.

mirkos

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
The whole thing reminded me the "Mission Impossible"!

"This device will self-destruct in 5 seconds! Good luck on your mission!"

Maybe they sould chang hissing noise with the above message...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]Wow they can even explode now? watch apple charge you 50 dollars for the privilege.[/citation]
Yeah it's a great bargain! Get an overpriced mp3 and youtube player, and use it as frag grenade when you're angry at your boy or girlfriend!

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I have to conqur.. I normally don't agree with people sueing either as it's usually non-sense and their fault to begin with. SUE SUE SuE! lol..

Of course if that's how it actually happened. If the kid heated it up with a blow torch then that is his own fault lol. But somehow I got a feeling they'd be able to tell that easily enough lol.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Not buying either stories. Anyone ever see a battery enter an unstable state and rupture? It's pretty violent but how violent the eruption is depends on how large the cells in the battery are. I have a hard time believing the teeny tiny battery in the iPhone could cause enough force to blow a hole through the LCD screen and shatter the glass OR launch the phone ten feet into the air.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]brendano257, stop being so f-ing stupid. The Iphone compared to the overall cell phone market share (not to mention the overall battery market) is measly at best.If 0 out of billions of every other cell phone don't explode, and even only 2 out of millions of Iphones explode, they're still doing infinitely worse than every other manufacturer.And besides, quit being such a fan boy, no matter how you slice it, the story is damn funny, even if it isn't a common occurrence. It's like when Bill Gates was demoing windows 98 and it BSODed on him. It's just funny.And you do realize that you're saying that since you, owning two or three out of 100s of millions of devices have never had a problem personally, everything they do must be good, you're making the same generalizations as everybody else on the board, just in the other direction.[/citation]
My friend has had several Nextel/Motorola phones explode on him.. Well, 2 exploded, the 3 just sort of melted down.. All 3 were the result of being dropped from very high onto concrete. My friend runs his own tree trimming business and in the last 10 years has dropped his phone at least 100 times, usually with no issue, but these 3 times were the end of these particular phones. No one was ever hurt, but the phones still exploded and whenever he got the phone replaced they all said it was probably the battery that did it. Just because you never heard about it doesnt mean it never happened. An iPhone dropped from that height would probably go nuclear though, but thats besides the point..

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Apple is trying to kill us all!

Yes, it would cost a tremendous amount of money, but I thin they should recall the iphones and fix the problem instead of trying to cover it up and let more people get hurt.

Earthworm401

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
A new phone built by Apple leaves the hands of a consumer and falls to the floor. The phone explodes, killing everyone in the room. Now, should they initiate a recall? Take the number of phones in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, they don't do one.

Didn't Fight Club teach you anything?

nexgenasian

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Earthworm401[/nom]A new phone built by Apple leaves the hands of a consumer and falls to the floor. The phone explodes, killing everyone in the room. Now, should they initiate a recall? Take the number of phones in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, they don't do one.Didn't Fight Club teach you anything?[/citation]

x is more than just cost of recall too, its reputation (future sales)

duolc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
The First rule of iphone is you do not talk about ibomb
The second rule of iphone. YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT IBOMB

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
ok, the guy dropped the phucking unit since it started a reaction. stupid, stupid, stupid. if anything gets dropped i am sure that it will start to malfunction. look at you HDD for example, drop it while it's spinning an dyour HDD is gone. get my point?

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]ok, the guy dropped the phucking unit since it started a reaction. stupid, stupid, stupid. if anything gets dropped i am sure that it will start to malfunction. look at you HDD for example, drop it while it's spinning an dyour HDD is gone. get my point?[/citation]

yes but a HD is a totally differant unit. ive drop my ipod nano dozens of times and its never went kaboom on me. there are just faulty units out there. it probably wasnt the kids fault.
unless he did what kingnoobe posted above :p

Status
Not open for further replies.