Tether wifi from phone to Ipod without root or data

Marissa S

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
At school, Many individual devices were blocked from the wifi due to state testing. (The password remains unchanged, and when input it, its says there's an issue). My Ipod touch 5th gen is one of these blocked devices.

My andriod phone was not blocked and can still access the wifi. It also has a mobile hotspot feature that uses data.

I want to use my phone as a hotspot for my ipod by using the school's wifi, not data. Is there any way to do this without rooting either device?

Solution
I see your point. I didn't read iPod before I misread it as iPad. Which obviously the tethering I described would work with.

How to Tether an Apple iTouch to an Android Phone

NOTE: This is using the phone as a wifi hotspot. Using the phones data plan. I am not sure if it will work through the phone, while the phone is using Wi-Fi to connection from the school to connect to the net rather than the phones data plan. So no guarantees.

To set it up...

First, go to "Settings" on your phone. Next tap "Wireless & networks. From here select "More" and choose "Tethering & portable hotspot". (Sometimes there is no "More" and you will just see the "Tethering & portable hotspot", if so, just tap that.)

Now tap "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot" to...
You may be able to do it through tethering via USB rather than the way you were planning. It is more likely to work, and less likely to give you any errors or slowing with the connection.

I would consider that. But, your phone itself will have to allow it.

You might, also, want to look into why your device is blocked. Was it blocked just randomly? Are they blocking that specific kind of device? Or did you do something that caused the block? As in, went somewhere they didn't allow, or perhaps were downloading a lot or overly using it? If those last ones are the case, you could easily wind up getting your phone blocked as well.

It may be wise to find out, for certain, why your device was blocked and see if it can be unblocked.

Marissa S

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

Well my high school is coming conducting this experimental high school exit exam and its taken on laptops over an internet connection. According to my Comp Sci teacher the head of IT at the school blocked almost all of the mobile devices connected to the schools wifi network, its a lot of people. Theres no guarantee that it will return to normal once testing is done, knowing how my school works.
Now how would I tether via USB to connect my phone and ipod? It would be a valid solution if my device was a laptop but my ipod has no usb port and neither does my phone. Would I need a cable that has the appropriate... things... for each port? Or does it HAVE to be USB for the process to work?

I see your point. I didn't read iPod before I misread it as iPad. Which obviously the tethering I described would work with.

How to Tether an Apple iTouch to an Android Phone

NOTE: This is using the phone as a wifi hotspot. Using the phones data plan. I am not sure if it will work through the phone, while the phone is using Wi-Fi to connection from the school to connect to the net rather than the phones data plan. So no guarantees.

To set it up...

First, go to "Settings" on your phone. Next tap "Wireless & networks. From here select "More" and choose "Tethering & portable hotspot". (Sometimes there is no "More" and you will just see the "Tethering & portable hotspot", if so, just tap that.)

Now tap "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot" to turn it on.

(SIDE NOTE: When you are done using the phone to connect the Ipod to the net, just go back in and tap "portable Wi-Fi hotspot" again to turn it off.)

Next you need to Tap either "Configure Wi-Fi hotspot" or "Set up Wi-Fi hotspot," depending on which is used on your phone. Different phones use different terminology.

Make a note the hotspot name in the "Network SSID" section and make any changes to the configurations you would prefer. You can also tap the name and change, it if you want, to something you would rather it be. You can also require a password for the network, in the security section.

Without a password, anyone can connect to your hotspot, even without your permission, so you really should enable this. The best security option is "WPA2 PSK." After selecting this, you can type in whatever password you prefer.

Then tap "Save" when you're done configuring the hotspot.

Next the iPod Connection...

First tap "Settings" on your iPod Touch, then tap "Wi-Fi". Now tap on your Android phone's hotspot name (either the default one or the one you change it to, will show).

Now type in your network's required password, if you added a password. If you left your network unsecured, you will not need to type in anything. (but again I don't recommend this, it is really best to have a password.) It will take a moment, but then your iPod will be online.

Warnings... Back to my mentioning the data plan on your account vs the schools Wi-Fi...

Any data your iPod or any other device uses, while connected to your Android phone, will count as data used on your Android's data plan. This could result in additional charges to your account, depending on your carrier and your contract. Again another reason to really have a password and keep others from using the data.

Also, broadcasting a Wi-Fi hotspot will greatly increase the drain on your phone's battery. If you plan to use your phone's hotspot for an extended period of time, you should really consider plugging it while doing so, this way your iPod doesn't lose Internet access when the Android phone's battery begins to run out.

Solution