Tetris Cartridge for Sega's Mega Drive Costs $1M

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
While I don't doubt it's a completely legit copy signed by Alexei himself, this is just ridiculous. You have to be some crazy rich mother, obsessed with Tetris to be able to pay what he wants for it. I am also guessing he won't take anything less than $500,000.00.

btto

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
hmm if the cartridge were made of pure gold I would surely shell out a Ben Franklin for it, I think the gold alone would be worth more than a 100 dls

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]But is it better than Crysis?[/citation]

Yes! I guess that tetris will be played in 100 years too but nobody will remember Crysis in 5 years.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Ok, I get it, his copy is the only one signed by that russian dude. But he claims "is rumored only 3-8 copies exist worldwide". What??? Tetris sold like water back in the days, how the heck can there be only 3 - 8 copies remaining??? No way, I say.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]Ok, I get it, his copy is the only one signed by that russian dude. But he claims "is rumored only 3-8 copies exist worldwide". What??? Tetris sold like water back in the days, how the heck can there be only 3 - 8 copies remaining??? No way, I say.[/citation]

The Sega Genesis version is what he is speaking of. From what I know of it, it seems to be the rarest game for that console. Truly a collectors dream to own but one million dollars signed or not is absurd.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I guarantee someone will buy it. Maybe they will come to an agreement on a price lower then 1million, but people WILL make offers. The thing about collectors is that "collections" have 0 value, until someone puts a value on it. Meaning, Mona Lisa is only worth millions because collectors put that price tag on the painting.

The game is only around 20-25years old and Alekséi Pázhitnov is still alive. I guarantee in another 30-40 years that cartridge will be worth a lot of money. Even more so as time goes by.

People who are saying 1 million dollars is too much, true. But the worth of one million dollar to you is different from another person. I've seen even weirder items sell for millions in other news.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
@iKyunG

I do agree and I would certainly put a bid in if I thought I could win it at a price affordable to me.
Not even for myself I would actually give it as a gift to someone, a certain nerd a very angry one at that.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I would be surprised if someone even considered buying this item for 1 million. The potential buyers are automatically narrowed down to...

1. Billionaire. Even for a Millionaire with 500 Million in the bank,that's hard to justify and a horrible investment. Or your an Idiot.

2. EXTREMELY hardcore video game collector. This is a whole nutha' levelll of video game collector.

3. Tetris Fan. Who even likes tetris? I understand it's place in video game history but common...my microwave could run tetris..

I just don't see the value in this. I understand that ANYTHING that is the very last of something in the world has value but this still seems hard to justify the price. I can mabye see a enormous video game museum purchasing this for about an eighth of the price.. 125,000 TOPS

G

@jacekring

actually no, there was only maybe 10 copies made available on the Sega Genesis, of which only 3 (according to the seller) current locations and conditions are accounted for

the reason that only 10 was ever made available was because Nintendo had brought the exclusive rights to the tetris franchise (so they can shift stupid amounts of gameboy i would presume) which made all versions on the Sega genesis illegally unlicensed and had to be destroyed to prevent legal wranglings, it would appear a small number escaped the destruction

the reason why this one is going for 1m is because it is the "ONLY" known copy of tetris for the Sega genesis that is signed by the original creator

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Its ebay. I could ask 10,000 for a copy of mario kart but that doesn't make mario kart worth 10k. Articles like this should only list prices realized or prices items actually sold. Even if it was the only copy I seriously doubt it would go for more than 50 to 100k just because video games just aren't seen as widespread collectible as say a rare coin.which makes them much less liquid when trying to sell.

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
This auction sounds interesting, but I have to ask if it includes the pre-order bonus "l" piece or if that has been redeemed already? Confused, this, http://i.imgur.com/1hy5e.jpg, all to clear things up, :p

G

one of a kind item, if you are a dedicated collector, you'll pay what it takes - it's not about what it's worth to you chumps, it's about what one will pay, to obtain possibly the rarest game on earth. It doesn't even matter what game it is - it's measurably unique, basically priceless - Placing an aribtrary monetary value of what it would be worth to you, as a mouth breathing, 'crysis-2-isn't-DX11-yet-shoot-me-now-and bomb-crytek' asshole is entirely irrelevent.

quirksitos

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
one of a kind item, if you are a dedicated collector, you'll pay what it takes - it's not about what it's worth to you chumps, it's about what one will pay, to obtain possibly the rarest game on earth. It doesn't even matter what game it is - it's measurably unique, basically priceless - Placing an aribtrary monetary value of what it would be worth to you, as a mouth breathing, 'crysis-2-isn't-DX11-yet-shoot-me-now-and bomb-crytek' asshole is entirely irrelevent.

Status
Not open for further replies.