Texas Law Now Can't Snoop in Email Without Warrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
The NSA will still never change their current ideals. Its utter BS, but at least we have states doing things like this. Not to mention there are things we can do that'll pester the heck out of the government trying to snoop.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Someone Somewhere:
"So what effect will this actually have? I'm not well greatly well versed in US politics, but does this affect the accounts of those who live in TX? Servers in TX? Only for state govt, not federal? "

Sadly no, the offending program was done at the high federal level, not the state. This prevents the State of Texas from doing the same thing, in the future, but has no effect on the federal program.
See: Civil War

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
The NSA dosent need a warrant to check your E-Mail. National Security beats common laws so it dosent matter if this si worldwide.
That beeing said, i belive you have to really be a pathetic human beeing to need to control the information worldwide to feel good.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The unfortunate thing here is State law doesn't overrule National law. When it comes down to it, the NSA can still look at anything regardless of what your state declares.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
My understanding Former texas governor GW Bush signed the patriot act
and one of the main writers of SOPA is a congressman from Texas

way to flip flop on an issue... but then again, Texans probably thing email has something to do with losing their guns

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Quoting abbadon_34 "Sadly no, the offending program was done at the high federal level, not the state. This prevents the State of Texas from doing the same thing, in the future, but has no effect on the federal program.
See: Civil War"

Yeah, but it sets up a free state when the inevitable next civil war starts and Texas breaks away. When this happens, and it will, those who want to stay free will head for Texas, and maybe Oklahoma will join Texas.

The east and west coasts, along with the areas around the great lakes, will be screwed. We're talking 1984 type life there. There are other places that might escape the tyranny, but not many.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Well, this is a decent move for Rick. I applaud his efforts (I despise him as a person), Even though the NSA can search W/E they want, this still keeps local law from invading into your cellphones, computers, etc without a warrant first.....not that is does any good, but it would require them to 1) either get a warrant, or 2) include federal investigators in their efforts.

G

"My understanding Former texas governor GW Bush signed the patriot act
and one of the main writers of SOPA is a congressman from Texas

way to flip flop on an issue... but then again, Texans probably thing email has something to do with losing their guns" (mobrocket)

Hahaha I live in Texas and still think that's pretty hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.