Thanks Google: Over 10K Win XP PCs Attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Is google legally allowed to make a fix for this? I would guess the guy that found it could make the fix and get google some recognition in the OS department.

lauxenburg

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
[citation][nom]loneninja[/nom]Down with Xp! If I was Microsoft I wouldn't fix this exploit, they need to stop updating Xp sooner or later.[/citation]

Yeah XP needs to die already.....

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
So, was this engineer's google job to find exploits, or was it just something he did in his spare time. From the way the article's written, it sounds like the latter, and that google's getting blamed - which is ridiculous.

conomega

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Sadly stopping support for XP isn't so simple. Many people (including myself) are dependent on applications that are not supported or able to run in Vista or Windows 7. And a re-write/update of the application isn't an option either because that requires funding which isn't always in high supply I'm sad to say. But you are right in the fact that until forced most people won't do anything to correct the short comings of the OS or their dependency on the OS. I've tried to migrate as many of the machines as I can to Vista/Win7 but until I can get re-writes of the apps that don't run on the newer OS's I can't abandon XP. And these apps are one-off custom apps that aren't easily replaced by an alternative either making the situation more difficult. In short you are forced to find a new developer to re-write the whole thing or fund the original developer (if they still even exist) to correct it or stay with XP. I think Microsoft plans to support XP SP3 until 2014 though.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]conomega[/nom]Sadly stopping support for XP isn't so simple. Many people (including myself) are dependent on applications that are not supported or able to run in Vista or Windows 7. And a re-write/update of the application isn't an option either because that requires funding which isn't always in high supply I'm sad to say. But you are right in the fact that until forced most people won't do anything to correct the short comings of the OS or their dependency on the OS. I've tried to migrate as many of the machines as I can to Vista/Win7 but until I can get re-writes of the apps that don't run on the newer OS's I can't abandon XP. And these apps are one-off custom apps that aren't easily replaced by an alternative either making the situation more difficult. In short you are forced to find a new developer to re-write the whole thing or fund the original developer (if they still even exist) to correct it or stay with XP. I think Microsoft plans to support XP SP3 until 2014 though.[/citation]
Windows 7 Professional and up has Windows XP Mode
There's also using regular virtual machines on both Vista and 7

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
It's a shame that microsofts lack of patching caused it's users to be attacked. I think microsoft should of patched even though theres very little reason not to use windows7, I mean, it's been out a while, and theres enough people who will tell you that it's no vista.

shakari

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]what kind of noob still is on XP?[/citation]
The kind who cant upgrade their computer cause of lack of funds and 7/vista dont run as well as xp on the computer...

Not to mention that xp is just cool, cause you know, its XP!

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]conomega[/nom]Sadly stopping support for XP isn't so simple. Many people (including myself) are dependent on applications that are not supported or able to run in Vista or Windows 7. And a re-write/update of the application isn't an option either because that requires funding which isn't always in high supply I'm sad to say. But you are right in the fact that until forced most people won't do anything to correct the short comings of the OS or their dependency on the OS. I've tried to migrate as many of the machines as I can to Vista/Win7 but until I can get re-writes of the apps that don't run on the newer OS's I can't abandon XP. And these apps are one-off custom apps that aren't easily replaced by an alternative either making the situation more difficult. In short you are forced to find a new developer to re-write the whole thing or fund the original developer (if they still even exist) to correct it or stay with XP. I think Microsoft plans to support XP SP3 until 2014 though.[/citation]
im gunna throw out the bs flag here and call it. Dependant on xp? You do know that win7 has an "xp mode" to run xp aps in windows 7.

Second, what the heck kind of old software are you so dependant on? I dont buy it lol.
I agree with others here. Xp needs to die naow.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]shakari[/nom]The kind who cant upgrade their computer cause of lack of funds and 7/vista dont run as well as xp on the computer...Not to mention that xp is just cool, cause you know, its XP![/citation]

Xp does not run better than win7 lol. Noob. Move on.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]shiftstealth[/nom]Is google legally allowed to make a fix for this? I would guess the guy that found it could make the fix and get google some recognition in the OS department.[/citation]
Um, no, he couldn't make a fix. This is Microsoft. Proprietary and closed source. The only one who can fix it is Microsoft. Now if this were Linux, the Google engineer could indeed create a fix and offer it back to the kernel developers. Open Source > Closed Source.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]loneninja[/nom]Down with Xp! If I was Microsoft I wouldn't fix this exploit, they need to stop updating Xp sooner or later.[/citation]
Why? Vista was a disaster of an OS, reminiscent of Win ME. And 7 has high system requirements and a high price tag - something that folks with perfectly good XP machines can't justify upgrading. Remember that since Vista was so awful, all the OEM's continued to offer XP on brand new machines, right up until the release of 7. So there's plenty of folks out there with PC's that are less than a year old, that shipped with XP. XP is gonna be around for a LONG time...

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Why? Vista was a disaster of an OS, reminiscent of Win ME. And 7 has high system requirements and a high price tag - something that folks with perfectly good XP machines can't justify upgrading. Remember that since Vista was so awful, all the OEM's continued to offer XP on brand new machines, right up until the release of 7. So there's plenty of folks out there with PC's that are less than a year old, that shipped with XP. XP is gonna be around for a LONG time...[/citation]
High system requirements? I've run 7 on a system with an Atom and 512MB of RAM, and it ran just fine. 7 will run on just about anything out there right now, and it will even run better than XP on almost any system.

Status
Not open for further replies.