The 10 Best Photo Storage and Sharing Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbdarrough

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
You can increase the iCloud storage from 5 GB to 50 GB for only 99 cents/month or less than $12/year. Increasing it to 200 GB is only $2.99/month or less than $36/year.

villu.arak

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
I'm confused by the claim that irista has "no support for mobile apps". Besides Mac and Windows programs, there are both iOS and Android apps.

rkellogg15

Prominent
Aug 27, 2017
REMOVE PHOTOBUCKET FROM YOUR LIST. They willingly abandoned their longtime customers and pulled online sharing out from under them. This has left millions of blogs, forums and sites with large gray ugly "Tough Sh*t!" messages. Photobucket needs to die for its lack of respect of its longtime users. AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE. Plus, free options? Can you say SLOW??? Can you say ADS??? ridiculous!

rgd1101

Don't

I guess not everyone works for free just like you.

BrianVS

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I cannot remember another site doing what PHOTOBUCKET did: years of allowing users to post images on web forums, then changing TOS to want $400 a year for what was a free service. This broke a lot of forums. The smarter forums download images once a thread is posted to prevent this BLACKMAIL tactic from ruining years of posted information. Don't use PHOTOBUCKET- and if you run a forum, learn this lesson and capture and display linked images as attachments.

BrianVS

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

It's the equivalent of Microsoft or Apple deciding to charge $400 a year to keep running Windows or MACos on your computer. You don't expect TOS to change and lock you out of your own work, you expect to be "Grand-Fathered" in. I hope Photobucket comes to it's senses, as it is now- a $400 service for what others such as Flickr continue to provide for free. I suspect they are losing a lot of people, but just do not care. Milking it for everything that it is worth before it collapses.

rgd1101

Don't

The different is people keep their content for them to host, which cost money. And Windows and MacOS do get EOL and unsupported.

BrianVS

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

It's the same as Microsoft announcing that their operating systems will stop working on your computer at EOL unless you started paying them $400 a year. I still use DOS, PharLap DOS, and Microway compilers, write all my own drivers. If Microsoft had put a hook into DOS to make it stop running when EOL was hit, I'd be screwed. Photobucket changed TOS without warning- lots of people were screwed. If you want a Hosting Site that has screwed a lot of forums, use Photobucket.

rgd1101

Don't

Different it there is no upkeep for MS for you to run whatever. But there is for hosting site to host your data.
It a free service, take you $$$ else where, oh wait, you don't pay for it.

BrianVS

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

May 15, 2017: "Security Update for Windows XP SP3 (KB4012598), A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system."

Microsoft still maintains XP- free-of-charge updates went out for the last round of fiascos. It would have been cheaper if they had simply pulled the plug and made it stop running on everyone's computer. But- they did not. Who would buy Microsoft products if they knew in 7 years that it would all simply stop working and all of their data would be lost? That is what Photobucket did- pulled the plug and want to extort $400 a year to get content on web forums restored. More important to a Photo Forum than to Tomshardware, obviously. BUT- it makes Photobucket a very poor choice for an image hosting service. They broke a lot of photography forums with the change in TOS.

Fortunately, the Admin of the photography forum that I frequent wrote code to download Linked images as Attachments that are hosted on his system. The users can delete the attachments if desired. Again- a lesson to be learned for Forum Admin. Tom's guide has a camera section- if people start linking images to threads, you might want to capture them as attachments or end up like a lot of forums did after photobucket screwed them.

rgd1101

Don't

They are still maintenance because there are government and company still paying for extended maintenance, not because they did it out of the goodness of heart. Do you know anything about business at all? that their goal is I donno make money?

Eagleizer

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Photobucket gave out free limited space with option to link them to forums and other.
By getting a lot of users to their site, they earned money from ads. I don`t mind them
charging $400 for new plans and customers, but by locking the accounts for people
who already have an agreement about being able to share up to 2GB of pictures is
nothing but criminal. $400 a year is also a totally ridiculous price.

As already mentioned, thousands of forums have become a mess because there are
no pictures to go with the posts. If you know anything about business, you should know
that trust comes first. Who want to risk subscribing with a new $400 a year account with
a company that obviously cannot be trusted? This is extortion and have nothing to do
with people wanting stuff for free. It was already given to them, and now Photobucket
is extorting people to get their pictures back. This simply cannot be defended.

Photobucket needs to be removed from the list before anyone else get screwed by
following the recommendation on this site.

rgd1101

Don't
They only earn ads money if people are on their site, not when the image a link on a third party site.
I'm pretty sure when you sign up for the "FREE" service, it did NOT said it free forever.
Trust can only go so far, when you don't have the $ to paid your staff/hardware.
You can still get your picture, they didn't delete them, just not letting you link to 3rd party site without paying.

nicmart

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
First impression of Irista is negative. Dating is clumsy and you are supposed to know the exact date. Not fully compatible with Safari. The entire photo doesn’t show in album mode. No title or description is visible without clicking the info icon. Not for me.

I went through the slides and don't know whether I missed the free storage at Nikon Image Space. The Basic Plan has 2GB storage and it is free. The Nikon ID Plan has 20GB free if you register with a Nikon camera. Please see their website for details. I am a Nikon ID Plan member.

For more info - https://www.nikonimagespace.com/plan/

Status
Not open for further replies.