The 4 Biggest Tablet Blunders Besides the HP Touchpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplaya

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
I'll need to replace my old trusty Windows XP laptop soon, with another PC laptop. Sorry, but tablets for all their hype, are still just toys.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Of course Apple didn't invent tablets. They just stopped tablets from being useless.

Also, the Touchpad was a good start, could have been great, and had a huge developer push from HP before they canned it. So what else was it missing? A rear camera for the 2 times you might every take a picture with your tablet (probably within the first hour of using it).

This wolfgang idiot never ceases to amaze me.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]As we can see here, dear iSheep, Apple did NOT invent the tablet U mad?[/citation]

Maybe a friend in high school told you Apple invented the tablets.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Note to manufactures : You can TELL THE CUSTOMER THAT THE TABLET IS THEIR NEXT PC ALL YOU WANT...But the customer WILL NOT BUY INTO THAT FANTASY!

My next PC will be.........a PC.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Thought the UMPC were cool, didn't get one though of course but still. For the money you could probably get a better computer.

But of it though with ideas of smartphones, tablets, and the like they seem to have faded out unlike the rest. Still though more then not its always something.

But might be on the idea though. 2006 the performance of anything around what was out probably would be variant and have "format" issues probably at times.

Can say everything is made the same, but I dought it sometimes. Alot of interest these days and how something gets its interest.

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
My next PC will be another desktop - probably with an I5 or maybe Phenom II X4. It will have a nice video card for sure. I just never caught the laptop, tablet, and mobile fever. I have a Netbook and use it sparingly when I travel. And I still have not invested in mac products i.e. no mac book, no ipod, :).

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Personally the best all the way around tablet was the compaq tc 1100. Not only does it come with a detachable keyboard and optical drive but can be used in pure slate like modern tablets but also was upgradable when it came to ram and storage.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]pozaks[/nom]Of course Apple didn't invent tablets. They just stopped tablets from being useless[/citation]

I still find them useless.
an underpowered laptop with no keyboard, mouse, or power to do much more than what a laptop 5 years ago could do..and you pay MORE for it for these lack of input/function/power ability...I just cannot see a point in it.
sure its easier to update your facebook page from it letting people know what your doing while looking trendy and clueless carrying around a crippled laptop on the go, than to do so on a phone...
but beyond that, between my work PC time and personal PC time daily, I have YET to think "man this would be so much easier with a tablet."

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Correction - Well, sort of...
The 5 Biggest Tablet Blunders Besides HP Touchpad
Palm Foleo (2007)
UMPC (2006)
3Com Audrey (2001)
Be Webpad (2000)
Newton (1993) (official name was MessagePad) Considered Apple's biggest flop.

The Newton's main capabilities of the device was its communications and organizational features. It could fax messages, send e-mail, had applications to organize names, dates, phone numbers, etc, printing, wireless paging and perhaps the most important of all it could supposedly read and recognize handwritten words on the screen. The Newton's astronomical $ 1000 price tag, poor handwriting recognition, large size...pushed it towards failure.

Arguably, some may say the Newton wasn't technically a Tablet. Maybe not. But I feel its certainly worth mentioning.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]As we can see here, dear iSheep, Apple did NOT invent the tablet U mad?[/citation]

Of course they didn't. Everyone should know that.. However, they were the first to make it a finanical success, work for the masses, and give it a clear purpose. Mobile technology(due to various reasons) just isn't where it would need to be to make a real PC mobile yet.. Although man I wish they could/would. :(

So no.. We aren't mad. U bitter?

[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]..sure its easier to update your facebook page..[/citation]

There you go. You already see part of the reason. It's for content consumption. I'm sorry you just refuse to acknowledge it as a valid product. Other people can, and have. Nothing really wrong with that of course. For example, some people don't have smartphones because they don't need them. For them, the dumb phone is king.. Not to mention the battery life on those things, is incredible compared to smartphones. To each, their own. I don't have one yet, and the only purpose it will be filling, for me, will be with college work(notes, books, etc), as well as couch-based movie watching, and internet browsing.. For which, it will work much better than a bulky laptop(in my opinion at least)

Maybe: WebOS had no market penetration. So HP engineered a huge stunt to get WebOS into the hands of people who normally wouldn't try such a thing. Take a big loss on the sale of these things, but see it as an advertising expense when WebOS is suddenly popular.

(No, I'm not paranoid, and I'm not serious)

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]To each, their own. I don't have one yet, and the only purpose it will be filling, for me, will be with college work(notes, books, etc), as well as couch-based movie watching, and internet browsing.. For which, it will work much better than a bulky laptop(in my opinion at least)[/citation]

so a small tiny screen that you can hold for a few hundred bucks, is better than a 30 something inch TV with wireless built in, with a wireless keyboard and mouse for the same price? to me, if im spending a few hundred bucks, I MUCH prefer to be able to kick back on the couch, wirelessly access my entire movie/documents/pdf files on my home network, and enjoy it on a 1080p large screen, than spend that cash on stating at a 9" screen in my hands.
if I need something mobile, I want something with more power than my wristwatch for the price it demands.

and its not "You already see part of the reason. It's for content consumption." I see no USE for it, as in paying a few hundred bucks to be able to do something on a smaller, less powerful, limited device as a "step backwards".
if that's the case, then I see "a reason" for owning a horse, as it has a 'use' in saving me gas prices, even though its more maintenance, less versatile, and less powerful in carrying than my truck.

you cannot claim a use for an item as viable, and making the cost justified, when there is other options with more versatility for the same price.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
No, they didnt make the first tablet ever.. Just the first truly successful tablet that actually created the entire market that is allowing others to start actually making money selling tablets..

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]so a small tiny screen that you can hold for a few hundred bucks, is better than a 30 something inch TV with wireless built in, with a wireless keyboard and mouse for the same price? to me, if im spending a few hundred bucks, I MUCH prefer to be able to kick back on the couch, wirelessly access my entire movie/documents/pdf files on my home network, and enjoy it on a 1080p large screen, than spend that cash on stating at a 9" screen in my hands. if I need something mobile, I want something with more power than my wristwatch for the price it demands.and its not "You already see part of the reason. It's for content consumption." I see no USE for it, as in paying a few hundred bucks to be able to do something on a smaller, less powerful, limited device as a "step backwards". if that's the case, then I see "a reason" for owning a horse, as it has a 'use' in saving me gas prices, even though its more maintenance, less versatile, and less powerful in carrying than my truck.you cannot claim a use for an item as viable, and making the cost justified, when there is other options with more versatility for the same price.[/citation]

First off, yes, the tiny screen is better for my purposes, than a TV as I don't want to have to crank my neck to one side, or lay on one side, just to watch a movie. I can sit there all relaxed, over the whole couch, or lay on my back, and position that screen right in front of me, or in whatever position is the most comfortable for me at that exact moment in time. Sometimes, my TV is better, like when I have many people over.. but not when its just me.. And it's cheaper power wise(same thing compared to my PC.) which makes my wallet happy. Not to mention I don't want to deal with a remote, let alone a much bigger remote, and a mouse, in addition to the remote. I don't want all that crap. You might, but not me. Also, I could use it to display a recipe to me, while I am cooking something new.. And I sure as hell ain't gonna drag my tv into the room to do that, nor would I want to focus on a even smaller smartphone screen to read.

And as i would only use it for watching movies, and taking notes, and misc other things along the way.. Exactly how much power do I need exactly?!?! I don't need (OVER) 9000(!!!!!?!?!) megagigahertz to watch movies, read books, and take notes. A tablet, for me, fits those needs perfectly. I would need to adjust, or accept minor inconveniences for a TV with wireless, or a laptop, or any other form factor out to date that I can think of. I don't want to adjust to it, but it, to me. And remotes.. God I hate remotes.. Now you might not be bothered by such things, but I am, and that makes a tablet viable, for me. And for alot of people it seems. Now, there are some people that just want one for status, or just because, or for apparently no reason at all... And while it would be stupid of me to mimic their actions, with their reasoning(in my eyes).. I'm not, and that is their money, not mine.. They can spend it however they want :p

Unless you can come up with something better than your TV option(can you?)... I can actually justify a tablet. I'm waiting.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dxwarlock[/nom]...if that's the case, then I see "a reason" for owning a horse, as it has a 'use' in saving me gas prices, even though its more maintenance, less versatile, and less powerful in carrying than my truck.[/citation]

And as for this.. Try and convince me the experience of going horseback riding, is without value.. Or better yet, try to convince women to agree with you ;P Everything, absolutely, everything, has a place where it absolutely shines.. Tablets have theirs.. And Horses have that romance shit on lock-down, lol. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.