The Best Cable Modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

InMesa

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
Why don't they make modems with an indicator so a person knows when it needs to be replaced. Issues connecting to the internet could be the fault of the provider, router, modem, or the device that's trying to connect. It's a nightmare trying to troubleshoot where the problem is.

rgd1101

Don't

Like you said, it complicated, it will cost a lot more $ to build something that can troubleshoot itself

seahag

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
I think the graphic at the top is incorrect, it says SB1690, I think it should be SB6190.

shellbacksnipe

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
None of this is relevant unless you tighten your coax F-connector on the wall plate and the back of the modem. If it's even slightly loose you've got ingress. Which means packet loss, slower speeds, modem resets, T3 timeouts, ect... So do yourself a favor and make sure those fittings are adequately tightened. Oh and one more thing. Don't go cheap on the coax cable. Use RG6 tri shield or better. 98% of internet trouble calls to your Cable ISP are caused by these two things.

Feb 12, 2018
Not what I would expect from a Best of 2018 review. Rehash of 2017 products with very little new insight. At the least focus on docsis 3.1 in more detail while updating purchase considerations for docsis 3.0. Arris modems while pushed like crazy have out of spec xmit power and can be very troublesome on a perfect gain cable signal through a top tier provider.

shellbacksnipe

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017

What are you talking about? Out of spec US TX? If your Arris modem is out of spec it's not because of the device itself, it's because of crap wiring, crap splitters, crap f-connectors, or because some rocket scientist decided to connect their coaxial cable to a surge protector or UPS. Guess what? Your service drop is already bonded to your main electrical ground. It's NEC. It's mandatory. If you do that it's redundant and pointless. All you are doing is attenuating signal for no reason and causing a ton of other issues with ICFR, SNR, MER, BER, all of which impact your internet surfing/gaming/streaming abilities.

Feb 17, 2018
I was thinking of replacing the Comcast supplied cable router/modem. The issues we are having are constant rebooting needed (which most of these seem to take care of) and poor WiFi transmission distance. Which of these had the best WiFi coverage?

HowardMil

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hi
I need a cable modem that has TELEPHONE- xfinity plan that will give me > than 500mbps download speed ( Blast).
This is a tough task .
Netgear Cv500v may not make it. cv1000 has no telephone. I will be upgrading my router to the ORBI or Asus or the STATE of Art Router in SPEED& WIFI at any price
What options do I have with my Comcast telephone service??
Howard

Jul 18, 2018
I'm with Howard: I'd like to replace my Comcast rental modem+router. I have Comcast Triple Play with telephone service, and I am not finding much info on modems that offer phone line support. Have you tested any of these types of modems or can you provide any insight? Thanks!

Irene_16

Honorable
Aug 7, 2017
I also have the same qustion as HIGHGEER5280 but I do not know if I can get out of the phone service as I still have 15 days to cancel my contract. I am tierd of paying for a modem which is slow and I cannot get service in other rooms.

Jul 18, 2018
Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, that link has never worked for me. I tried with two different browsers on my pc, an ipad, and my android phone. I log in, and it just sends me to the xfinity home page. Even if the link was working, i was in search of in depth reviews (like this article), as opposed to a generic product listing.

Aug 6, 2018
This article has best "Cable" modem and best "High Speed" modem. What is the difference between a Cable modem and High Speed modem?

rgd1101

Don't

LISTED DOWNLOAD/UPLOAD SPEEDS 686/131 Mbps
vs
LISTED DOWNLOAD/UPLOAD SPEEDS 960/240 Mbps

Aug 14, 2018
Recently bought a Netgear CM1000 cable modem. Works great with Spectrum (Time Warner) extreme and I consistently get 470-480 Mbps down & around 25 Mbps up. Called yesterday to upgrade to the "Gigabit" service, for which they charge a $199 activation fee and about $35 more per month (from $89 to $124). Completely broke my internet. Plugged into router or directly into my gigabit network adapter of my computer. Logged into the modem. Everything seemed correct. The signal to noise ratios were higher and it wouldn't complete the approval or some such. Called back and downgraded back to my Extreme plan 400/20. The lag of these companies to work with the modem providers is staggering. Netgear CM1000 is DOCSIS 3.1. Aren't the F*ing standards there for a reason?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
How about testing the longevity of high performance modems? Do they degrade after 5+ years of use? If they run hot or not? Otherwise i think an SB6183 ought to last me until DOCSIS 3.0 is no longer supported by Comcast, because 500Mb/s down 100+up is just fine. Maybe 20 years who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.