The Browser WARS !

* What browser is winning the war and why ?

* What browser has the brightest future ?

* Do you use more than one browser and why ?

* What browser is the fastest and the slowest ?

* Do you use addons ?

* Speed or the ability to customize ?

* What browser are you currently using ?

Please take a few minutes of your time and tell Tom's Hardware forum members how you feel !

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
I think Firefox is winning right now, but Chrome has a lot of potential.

I mostly use Firefox, but I use other browsers for testing web pages I create.

All current browsers are plenty fast for normal browsing.

I use several Firefox addons: NoScript, Use Agent Switcher, Web Developer, and Xmarks.

abar92

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
*Mozilla Firefox is winning the war.
I have a Dial-Up connection(I use it for browsing the Internet cuz I have a limited broadband data plan),it is damn slow max download speed is 25 kbps.Even being such slow internet Firefox gives the fastest speed,next is obviously Google Chrome.I used both equally previous months but after be assured ff fastest I have uninstalled the other..(both latest version).If you see very smoothly ff is faster even in broadband.

* Mozilla Firefox has the brightest future.

*As I say in first answer I was using many but now stopped that.

*Mozilla Firefox is Fastest(Chrome is very nearest) and Slowest I.E.(yes it is,Once I used it but for dirty performance I said no to I.E.,Tomorrow I download latest I.E. for windows xp sp3,it is the same as the old)

*Yes,I use ADD-ON,Firefox and Chrome both have interesting add-ons...I use "AD-Block Plus" add-on in firefox for get rid off disturbing ADs and loading the page faster.

*Dont get the point clearly,it ff supports beautiful themes,you can customize.

*Mozilla Firefox

DMPollitt

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I am using Firefox at the moment.
I used to use IE however after repairing a number of PCs on varying internet speeds including dial-up it was obvious that Firefox (3.6) was much faster. Things have only got better with 4.0.1, great look to it and more importantly easy to use.

gametstr

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
FireFox all the way. . . . .
Can't wait to see the Web Browser Grand Prix 4 with FF 5 to see it eat everything else.

rockg06

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Firefox is definitely winning, but not for long. Chrome is lighter, faster, more efficient than Firefox.

I use more than one browser for testing purposes.

Firefox is more customizable (sic), but Chrome is definitely faster.

I'm using Chrome right now.

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

Yes, but what's different about it?

I like that a right-click on a link offers a new tab as the first choice, used to be open in new window... that sucked.

I like that AdBlock still works.

I like that DownloadHelper still works because it always gets the video where others fail.

I hate the reload/stop button position.

I hate Stop doesn't reliably stop, it gets ignored, especially here at Toms ! :fou:

I hate that links need to be clicked over again because it forgets what it just set out to do and needs to be reminded.

I hate that since the stop button won't stop here at Toms, when I start typing in the reply box, get a few letters typed, FF focus jumps out of the box and lands down at the bottom of the screen if I don't wait for Toms to load completely (even after the "Stop").

Over-all.... I'll keep using it. :)

gametstr

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

The Reload / stop buttons can be customized to ur own style or how it was in 3.6.(U can even split the reload / stop buttons i.e have two separate buttons)
I really like FF5. I customized it in such away that it doesnt look much different from 3.6 with both symbols and button names like in 3.6. also I have my tabs below the address bar and bookmarks bar like in 3.6 and unlike chrome.
never had the problem where it forgets LOL.
FF5 is great!

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

A most useful reply. If I had a best answer button to click, you'd get it. :)

I'm getting lazy. I just took FF5 at face value and didn't give it a thought that it can be customized to my liking. The 3.6 was the best layout for me. Now I just need to go find out how to customize this v5 to make it look like 3.6.

When I say I'm getting lazy, it is no joke. I made my XP look like Win2K (classic) but then just sort of stopped there. It's the same old story. Everybody's TV works great, except the TV repairman's... his is always messed up. Same for my own computer. I live with it's problems and yet will tell someone else exactly how to get that same problem cured. I have a 2T hard drive dying a little bit more each day. It's part of a mirrored RAID so I'm just letting it rattle worse and worse each day. Not so bad, but it's my boot/system drive. It wouldn't be so bad but I have a pair of new drives in the box. I only need to plug them in, clone the baby rattle over and be done... oh well, maybe tomorrow, if it completely dies. :sleep:

tigsounds

Distinguished
May 29, 2010

I clicked View>Customize and the screen went ... different. Everything became drag and drop. Worked great. This is about as easy as it gets. Not so good in the past. FF5 has this "down pat." Thanks for the wake-up call.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
I gotta say my vote at least goes to firefox. IE is going to the Chrome look. What I hate is how Microsoft is just dropping support for systems with IE releases. For example, IE9 is the last IE for Vista. Which is stupid in a way. OS is only a few years old, pretty much the same as Windows 7 in many ways, yet they are cutting support for home users of vista next year I think. I know they want to generate sales, but down economy, Vista is still as capable if given decent hardware. Glad my Vista Business OS is supported until 2017.

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

There are default fruad protection feature which route all request through their server did you try turn that off?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I think Chrome is winning, and possibly will continue that way. If Im not mistaken, its the fastest in terms of raw speed. The browser I use the most is Firefox and its my favorite, for the moment.

Personllay, I prefer tabs on bottom, and while using Windows, wich happens to be around never, I prefer to use Safari. I used to be a Firefox user for ages, but I really disliked its latest GUI, so I have Safari on Windows now, in case I need to do something online.

On Mac OS, how funny, I dislike Safari GUI, cause it has a close tab button on the left (its on the right side on the windows version). And interestingly, the Firefox GUI hasnt changed, and I love download helper, a very nice firefox extension. Therefore, I go with Firefox on my main computer.

To conclude, I use Chrome on my notebook, cause I really dont need a more confortable GUI, I just need to get one or two things done really fast