The Camera Flash Got Smart?

Clever - - - but do we really need all this automation?

When I started in photography over 50 years ago I had to carry a light-meter and transfer suggested settings to the camera, plus remember to set the distance for correct focus. And for flash shots I had to do some mental arithmetic using so-called guide numbers. In those days the camera was a real learning tool.

Sure, I'm grateful auto-exposure & auto-focus has relieved us of much of the work but I wouldn't want everything to be automated like I was just a pair of hands with no brain of my own.

Plus, more automation invariably means more risk of malfunction & a visit to a repair centre.

Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing getting rid of my trusty old OM10 -
:/

Still, I thank you for your post - - it was certainly news to me. Wouldn't make me yearn for such a feature though, I prefer to use my own brain-power for a bit longer yet.

darklense

Great
Feb 8, 2018
"I wouldn't want everything to be automated like I was just a pair of hands with no brain of my own. Plus, more automation invariably means more risk of malfunction & a visit to a repair centre."

I agree. I would like to use my brain as well, and not cheat the knowledge of photography by tweaking the shot within camera menu. That said, I apologize to the kids that grew up with modern technology, I do realize that is a normal thing for you, like the analog photography is for us.
I like Canon and I do appreciate a new and innovative technology, as well as new gadgets, that actually mean we are evolving and progressing.
But... all that at the same time scares, since I heard now even the fridge can check the bacteria level inside itself.
Creepy, not to mention that yes, all that help that eventually gets necessary if we are going to use the precious time to enjoy simple things in life might just be too much, as in wheres my head creepy.
Photography wise, I always evaded use of the flash every time I could, that just makes me feel uneasy about the natural colors. I guess the analog photography is the thing of the past, but for me there is something about click roll the film and develop a photo that hasn't been tempered with, what you see is what you get. And on the end being pproud of what you created, communicated and learned.