The Car Powered by Photosynthesis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
btw this looks like more of some sort of futuristic spa/treatment chair then it looks like a car! like some futuristic tanning bed LOL

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Well there is a small amount of electrical current produced during photosynthesis, if you care to search for whats called the electron transport chains, but u'd need a lot of them to power a car, plus in the end it would only be powered by water O2, CO2 and you'd get free sugar, but with the sugar you can harvest even more energy, so if you can combine the 2 maibe you've got something

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
This is going the way of Babylon 5, where they have living ships.

Most likely it's just another concept that will never leave the drawing board.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I won't bash the concepts imaginative qualities, although its scientific feasibility is absolutely ridiculous. Why you would convert sunlight into chemical energy in the form of sugars and then attempt to extract electrical energy from that is beyond me. Solar panels accomplish the same thing in a manner that extracts energy far more quickly, such that it's suitable as a source of automotive power.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
The reason it wont become anything is because the power companies will not let it. If it is real and actually works they (PG&E, Edison, Duke Energy or any of the others take your pick) will just buy it and bury it or the oil companies will. Anything innovative that reduces energy use and screws with their profit margins will get shut down and buried alive.

They will do everything to maintain control of the power grids, just look at Proposition 16 on the California ballot.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
A very nice concept, but utterly pointless.

- Why convert sunlight into chemical energy and then into electricity instead of doing so directly via photovoltaic panels? After all, at every energy conversion a part of the energy is wasted in the form of heat.

- Photosynthesis doesn't exactly create a huge amount of energy. In order to power a car AND let the plants feed themselves, you'd need a mobile rainforest.

- Plants breathe and evaporate water by doing so. In a glass car, things would get hot and humid, like in a rainforest.

- Here in Belgium, every inch of road is lit at night, so it would work here. But in most parts of the world, driving at night would be impossible without sufficient battery capacity.

- Keeping the soil full of nutrients and water sure is a lot of work...

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
The problem is anyone can put an idea like this out there, but if you have no idea of the concepts behind it it is useless. If I said hey I can make a black hole in a beaker would you believe me or ask how? It is just science fiction unless you can provide some idea of how it can be done.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Miharu[/nom]It's just a concept.Cool design, great idea but.. it's too much futuristic for build a prototype.No wheels on the front just some kind of rotation motor.I prefer the "back to the future's" delorean.[/citation]
IDK why u got a thumbs down.That care/movie will always have a special place in my heart.Great childhood memorys.

zmbcat

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Either synthetic flowers or synthetic photosynthesis is needed to pull it off, but thats far away...and besides - its using solar energy, so solar panels should be 10x simpler/more efficient to pull off? Meh...

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
There are a lot of haters on this site 'thumbs down'ing these comments. Just because you disagree with someone isn't a reason to /dislike their comment and write a nasty one yourself. (I've taken to liberty of neutralizing most negative comments)
Quite hating. That's what's killing this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS