The Desk Every Modern School Should Have

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]angryfingertips[/nom]Wired keyboard + wired mouse= FAIL[/citation]

No, friend. STOLEN keyboards and mice would = fail. You need wired here.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Push a button, and out pops the LCD screen—and presumably the mouse and keyboard.
Did you even bother to read your own article?

Tell me, that's that keyboard and mouse looking thingies in the 2nd picture?

If you are going to copy and paste (read: plagiarize), at least read the original first so you don’t sound like an idiot. (Reminds me of the idiots that copied other student’s name on their test)

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
We looked at the KI desk for our new building and dismissed it as too complex and too noisy. It's a motorized system and you hear the gears and motor as the screen raises up. In addition, the screen sits pretty high so students can EASILY hide behind them.

On the other hand, a system like Smartdesks's flip-it (http://www.smartdesks.com/flipit-kit.asp) is retrofit-able, simple (we're going without the keyboard tray - kbd/mouse fits in the monitor compartment) just relies on a simple hinge, silent, and gives all the flexibility of the KI system, without the noise, complexity, and view-blockage . . . and you can fit it to just about ANY desk as long as it's at least 24" deep. . .

deadly4u

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
Good for a classy business look. Bad for an educational system.

All that money could really be spent on actual EDUCATION.

megafreak

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
No edit: And the people saying this is a mostly useless feature are correct. Its just a novelty, in fact most of the time the computers are left open and people just use the little space left, unless it gets really crazy.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
While yes it is cool, the only real reason I Could see it being used in schools would be if the teacher had control of when the monitor was up/down. That way the teachers could control when the kids were 'paying attention'

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]While the concept looks great, I still have issues with "modern schools" when teachers are being let go left and right.Use the money that you'd spend on this for teachers, chalkboards, paper, and writing tools.That seemed to worked fine when I went to school.[/citation]

That worked fine in the non-technical age, it doesn't work fine today.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
yea, lets put the fancy tech in schools so they can use it it play counter strike, put gum under the desk, and switch around the keys until the keyboard is destroyed. i would rather have a e reader for textbooks instead of a table with a pull out mac.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hang-the-9[/nom]We have some similar desks at work, very clean looking for meetings, yet you have a PC monitor when needed. The issue with this is the cost of having a computer at every desk, which I'm sure very very few schools have.[/citation]

I work at a school. I'm not sure how many desks we have, but we have about 1600 computers.

Our furniture isn't this advanced though. Our computers are still attached to regular monitors sitting on the desks permanently

gemmakaru

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
That wouldn't have lasted five minutes at my school, the desks were pretty carved up with pen knives. That was in the 80s, maybe schools have model citizens as pupils now.

Status
Not open for further replies.