The Fan Heatsink of my Compaq Presario CQ56 seems to be bolted or super glued the motherboard.

justinb386

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I just received a Compaq Presario CQ56 laptop in the mail (from an online auction that I won), and the laptop started getting extremely hot within maybe 5 minutes of using it online.

So I thought that it had a lot of dust build up in the fan.

So I very carefully read the Service Manual for the laptop, and then take it apart (which I have done many times over the years with many other laptops, after reading the service manual, and have done many successful repairs).

So after I remove the motherboard (which I had to do to get the the fan/heatsink), I unscrew all of the screws that are holding the GPU and the CPU in place, and I unplug the fan, and then I try to pull out the fan/heatsink, but it will not come off of the motherboard.

It seems as if it is bolted down to the motherboard, but the Service Manual did not mention anything about that.

The service manual simply just says to pull straight up on the fan/heatsink after removing all of the screws, and the fan/heatsink will come right out, but it does not.

I looked at the other side of the motherboard, and there are no bolts that appear to be holding the fan/heatsink on to it, so I do not understand what is wrong.

As you can see on Page 80 of the Service Manual (in the link below), the fan/heatsink should pull right off of the motherboard.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657369.pdf

Has anyone ever experienced this issue befoe with the fan/heatsink being stuck to the motherboard?

So now I can't clean all of the old thermal paste off, and apply new arctic silver thermal grease like I know that I really need to do.

I just gave up after about 10 minutes of trying every which way to pull the fan/heatsink off, and then put the laptop back together, turnd it back on, and the Celeron 900 CPU hits 75 c within 5 minutes, and the laptop turns off on me.

Thanks for any thoughts about my issue.

davcon

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
From what I read it sounds like paste and a pad is involved.
And says Note(may require shifting from side to side).
Do know about you but I've had to remove coolers with thermal pads(which is like tape really).
Took a lot of force.
So much in fact I thought I would break something.