The Lamp With No Light Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I'd personally like my ceiling to emit light, and the walls as the TV and speakers, but to each his own.

The lamp might not have a light bulb, but it does have a light source.

FUtomNOreg

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
gpace, they wrote the title like that to get your attention not to be completely correct. As for getting your attention, it worked didn't it?

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I think it'd be great to have a ceiling with a LED matrix spanning the area. No uneven lighting or dark corners. Plus controls to turn off quadrants or every other light to dim. Not to mention the ability to have various color options to control also. I'd take something like that instead of a lamp, but this is a nice concept.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I guess I am just old school because I see all of this and all I can think is "great something else that can break or go wrong". I get that in some respects it may be "better" but I'll stick with old faithful bulbs and sockets. Sort of like power windows and door locks on a car, sure they are convenient but it is just something else that will break, give me a manual window roller and door locks any day.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It's about time actually - the use of LED just makes so much sense. But the price needs to come down before it catches on, just like with household fluorescent bulbs - when they became affordable, people started buying them, and never looked back! LEDs are even better and I can't wait to have "natural light" after sunset! Wow...

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
The problem I see is when an one of the LEDs go out, it will happen, and then what, replace the whole shade? It won't be convenient in the long run, at least not how it's being portrayed. Having a light socket is easier, you unscrew it and you put a new bulb in. Adding LEDs to a wall or ceiling have the same possible problem. So I say it would be nice to think about lighting a house in a new way, but there needs to be a lot more thought put into it than what is being portrayed in the picture and in the article as a whole.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
interesting idea, but the "bulb" concept still has its value. Smaller cheaper and easier to handle component that can be replaced instead of having to buy a whole new lamp (or wall as was suggested) Making strips of LEDs would be another matter.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]"Damit! Who left the wall on all night?" Hey it good happen.[/citation]

oops. make the "..it could happen."

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]sublifer[/nom]interesting idea, but the "bulb" concept still has its value. Smaller cheaper and easier to handle component that can be replaced instead of having to buy a whole new lamp (or wall as was suggested) Making strips of LEDs would be another matter.[/citation]

Another idea is to do it in the same style as Christmas lights. Each tiny bulb is removable and replaceable. Now of course, packaging each LED into an easy-to-change package will increase the cost, but it's an idea. Then again it may be better/cheaper to have strips of 5 or 10 or so, and if one goes out, just buy a whole new strip.
But I definitely agree that they need to make broken LEDs easy to replace before it's really worth switching to.

Status
Not open for further replies.