The mssecsvc.exe virus, a windows crash and possibly more...

TheRedFox

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014
Dear friends.

I've had Avira free popping up every couple of hours warning me about a certain mssecsvc.exe /WannaCry trojan in my windows directory for the previous month or so (can't recall perfectly). It says that the file has been moved to a quarantine, however, the fact that it pops up so often as well as the fact that my computer has slowed down tell me that I'm in huge trouble.

Moreover, a couple of minutes ago my windows gave me a blue screen (not THE blue screen, but a quick blue screen and a follow-up restart, couldn't read what was on the bluescreen). Just to be safe I started in safe mode with net connection.

I am not sure how I got the virus. I use a lot of freeware (most of it not legal, i suppose) and I constantly get new viruses (some discovered, some not, but I suppose they're inevitably there), but please understand that it is not done by pure malicious intent to reduce the revenue of media producers, but rather from my Steve-Jobs-in-his-college-years like financial position. I'm also prone to viewing certain "adult" content on the internet to satisfy my basic human needs.

I am running a Windows 7 ultimate (legal, activated version). I have not seen any unusual program in my task manager, nor in my programs and components folder that I usually check. When installing stuff, I've made sure to uncheck any unnecessary, secondary programs. I've done a full scan with malwarebytes premium trial, eset online antivirus trial, avira free. Nothing has been found. I have tried installing CCleaner but have failed (there is some error during the activation of my trial).

I beg you to help me. You have my sincere gratitude for even attempting to do so. Thank you in advance!

Solution
You have a rootkit somewhere and it's also interfering with in-Windows malware tools running.

- Try booting into safe mode and using Trojan Remover for a more thorough malware cleaning. Safe mode can be accessed by mashing f8 as soon as you start the PC, select "safe mode with networking". Trojan Remover is free for 30 days and scans in extreme detail, catching thing even Kaspersky and Bitdefender will miss, at the cost of scan speed.

- Using another PC to create a bootable Bitdefender Rescue CD/USB, booting to it, and using that to perform a full malware scan outside of Windows completely.

If the malware comes back after that, I recommend backing up and reinstalling Windows completely.

TheRedFox

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014

TheRedFox

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014

I am so sorry for replying so late. I tried the software, but it only detected files in the Avira quarantine (then again, i realize it was stupid of me to run the two simultaneously). I left these detections as they were (didn't delete them).

Also, I can't launch Malwarebytes anymore. I don't know whether this is a symptom, but this has already happened once this month. I've had to reinstall it.

TheRedFox

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014

Nope. Avira still keeps 'finding' it, like 5 times a day. Mranwhile, 1 program, KDWIN, won't launch on startup anymore despite being in the msconfig startup programs

jr9

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
You have a rootkit somewhere and it's also interfering with in-Windows malware tools running.

- Try booting into safe mode and using Trojan Remover for a more thorough malware cleaning. Safe mode can be accessed by mashing f8 as soon as you start the PC, select "safe mode with networking". Trojan Remover is free for 30 days and scans in extreme detail, catching thing even Kaspersky and Bitdefender will miss, at the cost of scan speed.

- Using another PC to create a bootable Bitdefender Rescue CD/USB, booting to it, and using that to perform a full malware scan outside of Windows completely.

If the malware comes back after that, I recommend backing up and reinstalling Windows completely.

Solution