The Next Particle Collider is Taking Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Azn Cracker[/nom]haha these things are pretty cool, but pointless. Is there a reason to create highly unstable isotopes that degrade after .01 second?[/citation]
To the best of my knowledge it's to discover more properties of subatomic particles that could one day explain how the Big Bang came to be. However being in America I have my doubts about politicians letting an accelerator that's better than in Europe be built here, just look at the uproar and one could deduce an even bigger one here.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Ya know, seems llike alot of "Billion" dollar projects these days in and around some places.

I can understand sometimes for sack of new from old of course, especially with more known then what was say before with new on old, but the ideas of lack "None-before" kinda don't fit well, but that again is based on ideas of what is before and what isn't though i think more then none.

But ya know infmartion is sarce of it usually a complete for somethings, but for any one thing not?? Oh well, deductive or adductive thinking would be the place of interest for lack f interest usually for it. Stil though of the most when not applied all of what it is would be?

But again though rather they build a new one, there is one being built somewhere either way. Rather helpful or not is anyones guess of course but still. What gets to be results of anything would be the idea of interest for what is not bieing built, what is and has been built to say. Yes? Don't worry, it takes something usually to change something.

If some common place of interest could be derived from something, this might be a good start, but who knows..??

G

k-zon! stop drinking the water! It's contaminated with 2.4 jiggawatts of idonknoium wutusayshiwitz photovoltaic semi-colliding coitus interrupters!

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
[citation][nom]papadoc[/nom]what does ILC stand for[/citation]

ILC stands for "International Linear Collider".

G

if you read the 3rd to the last paragraph to somebody, you might be perceived as a nerd.. nice one..

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]Azn Cracker[/nom]haha these things are pretty cool, but pointless. Is there a reason to create highly unstable isotopes that degrade after .01 second?[/citation]

Particle accelerators on this scale (size) are built to examine subatomic particles, not atoms and their isotopes.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
as long as the money is used well and they discover something extraordinary, Im all for this. They said theyd find the mother particle in a year, but I guess thats out.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Okay, but if one of these colliders ever lead to the discovery and greater understanding of the higgs boson, and subsequent development of anti-gravity devices, then you are last in line to get one.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
$10 billion dollars is money that could be better spend on Education, Health and even Interest FREE loans to homeowners that lost or are loosing their homes.

G

"At the end of 2012, Fermilab plans to test-fire the collider and hit an initial energy level of 300 MeV"

hmmm December 21st 2012 is also at the end of 2012. Nah that has nothing to do with it.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]$10 billion dollars is money that could be better spend on Education, Health and even Interest FREE loans to homeowners that lost or are loosing their homes.[/citation]
or it could go to scientific investigation, which could drastically improve our every day lives depending on the discovery. The goals of this project are big, and would without a doubt make huge advances in understanding of our world, huge advances in technology, and therefore huge advances in medicine and other important parts of our daily lives. Plz dont suppose that scientific investigation is a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.