The Next Particle Collider is Taking Shape

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]What happens if something goes wrong?[/citation]

The power generators have a kick-start option. No worries.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
This project will NOT go anywhere. The USA is not a country of technology and development, just movies, football and Pizza.

A small city North of Dallas spent $60 million for a HIGH SCHOOL FOOT BALL FIELD!?

Look up " Superconducting Super Collider " on Wikipedia. I remember when the project got canceled in Texas - since its near my town. WHAT STUPIDITY!

The SSC is about 22miles, the Texas SSC would have been more than twice as big and 4 times the power.

The project was half finished and even had foreign investors... who lost money. The buildings are still there, the tunnels were filled... Yep and that was a $1billions to DO THAT!

What a waste... and why America SUCKS!

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]Azn Cracker[/nom]haha these things are pretty cool, but pointless. Is there a reason to create highly unstable isotopes that degrade after .01 second?[/citation]

Yes, to find better ways to kill your enemies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]This project will NOT go anywhere. The USA is not a country of technology and development, just movies, football and Pizza.A small city North of Dallas spent $60 million for a HIGH SCHOOL FOOT BALL FIELD!?Look up " Superconducting Super Collider " on Wikipedia. I remember when the project got canceled in Texas - since its near my town. WHAT STUPIDITY!The SSC is about 22miles, the Texas SSC would have been more than twice as big and 4 times the power.The project was half finished and even had foreign investors... who lost money. The buildings are still there, the tunnels were filled... Yep and that was a $1billions to DO THAT!What a waste... and why America SUCKS![/citation]

You must be kidding? The US has the most and best technology oriented universities in the world.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
They should hold off for a few more before years building the ILC to see what the LHC finds, so they do not duplicate work that is not required, and can customize the ILC further to cover unexpected short comings found in the LHC.

No need to play "Keeping up the the Jonses" to have a bigger and better replacement accelerator quickly that barely does anything more than the LHC.

YardstickWHACK

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]$10 billion dollars is money that could be better spend on Education, Health and even Interest FREE loans to homeowners that lost or are loosing their homes.[/citation]
The constitution DOES specifically mention spending on arts and science, however it does not say anything about welfare.

Nevertheless, this is fantastic technology and let's hold on to those discoveries and brilliant minds.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]The money could be spent on more promising research such as nanotech or reducing the cost of space travel or... well a thousand things really.[/citation]

And you don't think nanotech could benefit from this at all?

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]To the best of my knowledge it's to discover more properties of subatomic particles that could one day explain how the Big Bang came to be. However being in America I have my doubts about politicians letting an accelerator that's better than in Europe be built here, just look at the uproar and one could deduce an even bigger one here.[/citation]

I agree about your latter point. The LHC is 17 miles long, much much larger than any previous collider every built with up to 7 times the power. That is actually useful to potentially solving some of the key questions scientists want to know. Making it just a little larger won't make it all that more powerful and personally I think its just for bragging rights "Our particle accelerator is bigger than yours" nonsense. At $10 Billion, it better actually be worth it for getting answers, some of which we may already learn when the LHC is fully operational in 2014 anyway.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Considering current economic conditions, and where is the economy heading for next few years, I don't think this will go anywhere any time soon. But anyway while it lasted they did a great job. :)

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]The money could be spent on more promising research such as nanotech or reducing the cost of space travel or... well a thousand things really.[/citation]
Or, more likely, our next war....

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]drumsrule786[/nom]Well considering I live a few miles away from this, I hope they don't make any black holes or anything....[/citation]

1 - It won't create a real black hole... at best, maybe a micro black hole which would eat itself in seconds (If I remember right).

2 - If a really big black hole was to form (which requires far more mass than the whole Earth) - you'd be dead before you know it - but also, living in it while not knowing it.

3 - If 2 happened, it wouldn't matter where you lived on Earth.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]YardstickWHACK[/nom]The constitution DOES specifically mention spending on arts and science, however it does not say anything about welfare.Nevertheless, this is fantastic technology and let's hold on to those discoveries and brilliant minds.[/citation]

Yet... we have welfare for the rich.... how stupid is that.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]You must be kidding? The US has the most and best technology oriented universities in the world.[/citation]

Uh... based on what? In general, eduction, infrastructure, health... the USA is rated pretty low. But we're high on stupidity.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Just what America needs: another huge project that won't be funded due to the general lack on interest in Washington for science at a time when funding for STEM teaching is at an all time low...

From now on, the entire world should just collaborate on the LHC. And that includes America, given it's fast becoming too poor to fund its own parallel programs.

The Higgs bosun is a lost cause and we are better off looking for then next "island of stability" in terms of more complex elements in the periodic table.

I worry that if they keep upping the power on these things we wont be able to user the toaster in the morning.

I like my toast with coffee ... while I read K-zon's cryptographically encoded spy news of the day.

Plus ... a small black hole would be very difficult to control as we do not have a magnetic bottle at the impact point so if one is created it will go zinging off on some tangent in Europe.

I haven't been there yet ... there might not be much of it left.

Take some more photos just to be on the safe side.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.