The Other Pad: Yes, A Mousepad Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I had to get a mousepad because my old desk had a glass top. I bought an ultra thin WOW pad that worked extremely well. New desk does not have a glass top. No mousepad needed.

pluripotent

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
ditto: I don't even have a glass top desk, but my deathadder mouse doesn't work on the glossy black surface. Pad required.

G

Suprised you didn't review Func Industries.. Long time favorite from the Counterstrike crowd. Probably one of the best built pads i have used with many options. Defintely my favorite for FPS type games. MMOs - go for a Razer mat, or steelseries, or whatever you like, it doesn't matter. But not using one i believe will increase the wear on your mouse and mouse feet.

G

I absolutely love my old Genius mousepad. It makes my trackball much more precise and responsive.

G

Where's my MacPadd? I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned as it's one of the only pads that offers protection against microbes such as H1N1! /sarcasm

Really though, what ever happened with that?

sutleyc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Allsop Metal Art Mousepad, smooth plastic metal base on a non-slip surface. I use one at home (FPS) and the office (Photoshop).

http://www.allsop.com/classic-mousepads/charcoal-metal-art-mouse-pad/

G

First-generation Razer DeathAdder and ExactMat for me. Works wonders for gaming and graphic design. If I have to upgrade, I'll take the 3.5G edition of DeathAdder and a Destructor.

Anyway, as a gamer and a mouse user, I like to have a very high sensitivity (I'm the wrist type as mentioned in the article). So far, I've never achieved such sensitivity and accuracy with my previous mouse-and-pad combination. I'm with the mousepad-needing side here, even though I only casually game.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Our wooden dining table works well with my 2 old Microsoft mice and my new Microsoft blue laser mouse. I do have to clean off the table well before doing this, the biggest enemy of a mouse is stray salt granules. Sometimes when traveling I've used the cardboard back of a legal pad. It works pretty well but I don't think it would last a long time. The worst surface I've tried has been clean white paper. The mice don't pick up any texture on it. My G5 at work works pretty well with my old cloth mousepad. I've thought about gluing my old pad to a piece of heavy metal or ceramic tile so it would stay flat and wouldn't move around on my desk.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I really never gave a thought about using a mouse pad until recently. I have been without one for many years. Not to long ago I was moving and so I took everything off my wooden desk. It wasn't until then that I noticed how faded the wood was where I use my mouse. If I get another new wooden desk I will definatly consider using a pad so I don't ruin the desk surface.

quicksilver98

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I purchased my Razer Destructor mouse pad last year to go with my Copperhead, and wow what a difference. The mouse tracks smoother and I tend to have less issues with dust from the tabletop days. I Strongly recommend picking one up if your a "Gamer" or even someone who likes precision mousing.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]adedfdjd[/nom]Where's my MacPadd? I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned as it's one of the only pads that offers protection against microbes such as H1N1! /sarcasmReally though, what ever happened with that?[/citation]

You may remember that Macpadd failed to work with our friends at Tom's Hardware, and they fail as a company, clearly. We'd have loved to test out their mouse, but there was no guarantee we'd ever get it, if we bought it or not.

noerion

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The second is that the Sphex easily becomes dirty and it can’t really be cleaned.

I disagree on that part. I personally own a Sphex and the main thing that gets dirty is the bottom (since I do take it around places every once in a while). Razer made a big deal when these came out, that you could actually wash the Sphex (water and just a little bit of soap), which I've done multiple times. Each time I wash it, the adhesive becomes sticky again, allowing me to place it in a new position on my desk. Of course I make sure that my desk is clean at that point, too, so it'll stick well. It is without the best mousepad I've owned over the years. The tracking precision it provides while I'm gaming is excellent, and the mat itself is just right for my personal style.

G

I bought a mousepad for $2 from... Office Depot, was it? It's about the size of the Max Payne one, and works very well. Why was no consideration given to the bargain bin dep't?

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I got one of these a while ago:
http://www.mouserug.com/

they work great and look good to boot.

but with optical and mice its much less of a need. And actually I find with my wood desktop at home a standard optical mouse wont track, so I have to use a laser mouse.

But the biggest overall problem is cathair in the optical sensor -- once that happens, my mouse acts really funny until I clean out the 1-2 strands of hair that got in.

Status
Not open for further replies.