The Real iPad Killer: HP Shows Off the TouchPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
18-bit color?? That's a TN panel. Unless it has a really good contrast and better-than-average viewing angles, this display will be noticeably worse than the iPad's IPS panel.

dan55

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Holy crap! Wow! That is impressive, for considering I didn't expect this at all! All they need to do is price the 32 GB model at about $500-$600, and we see the iPad market share take a hit. Was expecting another failure with the title of "iPad killer", because honestly, so far, I think I can speak for a lot of people that we have been disappointed. The Xoom is decent, but an $800 price tag is extremely steep. Hopefully they can get a lot of developers on that platform, so that they can make the add-on software relatively comparable to the iTunes App Store. Keep it up!

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I am guessing touchpad might lack behind Ipad on two important aspects: screen and battery life.

Touchpad has "18-bit color, 1,024 x 768 resolution display." I guess that's 6bit TN pannel? while Ipad's H-IPS pannel is much better.

according to Engadget. touchpad has a similar battery as Ipad..but I am afraid it would not last that long.

Surpporting is a big advantages though. Let's see how it eats battery life :)

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Yeah I've been scouring the internet trying to find any info on the battery life. Although I did come across this interesting tidbit.

"Another missing specification at the HP TouchPad event was any indication of battery life. The hallmark of great mobile devices, especially those used for reading and entertaining, is battery life and with not a word about how long the 6300Whr battery will last it could be a bad sign."

http://notebooks.com/2011/02/09/hp-touchpad-announced-with-9-7-display-webos-beats-audio-flash/

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
What I really want to see is a fully decomposable netbook. Basically, it starts as a smartphone. Then you can attach it to the back of a 10" touch screen monitor and have yourself a tablet. Then you can attach a keyboard and fold it to have it become a netbook. Then it would have a dock then I could connect to my PC so I can easily shift the work I've done for the day to my desktop with full processing powers. It's not easy to make something like that, I understand. But that would basically be the only thing I would find worth buying in the tablet/smartphone market right now.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I am not a fan of Apple products. However, when has anyone ever said the statement, "[Insert gimmick here] will be an [insert successful Apple product here] killer!" and been completely right?

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
When will anyone understand that it's not about product superiority? The ipad is not a super hi-tech device with quantum electronics. The problem is that it got to the tablet market first (for real) and grabbed it in a choke hold then other companies try to supersede it with better hardware, the Galaxy Tab is already better than the ipad in terms of specs....It's about getting the users attention, which is pretty tough since most of them are always wearing all black or white clothing and a little cock-eyed. It's like giving a hyena ice cream while he's eating a zebra....but he'll take the ice cream for dessert.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]Yeah I've been scouring the internet trying to find any info on the battery life. Although I did come across this interesting tidbit."Another missing specification at the HP TouchPad event was any indication of battery life. The hallmark of great mobile devices, especially those used for reading and entertaining, is battery life and with not a word about how long the 6300Whr battery will last it could be a bad sign."http://notebooks.com/2011/02/09/hp [...] dio-flash/[/citation]

I'm amused by the article...6.3KWhr battery pack? Really????? Sounds to me like someone didn't bother to use common sense when they were proofreading the article.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
With words like "ROBUST", "HIGH-SPEED" and "RICH CONTENT", one can only be skeptical. Oh yeah, and this looks ridiculously close to the iPad.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]I'm amused by the article...6.3KWhr battery pack? Really????? Sounds to me like someone didn't bother to use common sense when they were proofreading the article.[/citation]lol. DAMN that's a big battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.