The Real iPad Killer: HP Shows Off the TouchPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@xantek -- in a way you are right, it's not about "superiority"-- especially in terms of hardware specs, as you seem to suggest should be important. Here's what's wrong with the Galaxy tab-- it's not superior in overall user experience. The average user doesn't know what mhz or ghz their device is, or how many pixels it has, etc etc... they just know how the product "feels".

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Thank God HP has this huge library of applications. Oh wait... you mean there is more to the iPad than just hardware? Everyone leaves out that one very important detail. I would too if I was not able to beat it.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
wow, what a f**king biased article title

i didn't even bother reading the rest of the article. it's probably just a bunch of opinionated garbage. i thought this was supposed to be a tech site. this is not professional journalism marcus. this is a blog

and this tablet will fail. most of the support is on android and on IOS. i would be surprised if this could get off on it's feet, even with it's amazing features

sideshowbob32

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
I will never buy anything HP again for as long as I live thanks to their DV series laptops and horrible customer support I would rather buy a Ipad what is very unlikely and 18-bit color really how is this a ipad killer?

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]Yeah I've been scouring the internet trying to find any info on the battery life. Although I did come across this interesting tidbit."Another missing specification at the HP TouchPad event was any indication of battery life. The hallmark of great mobile devices, especially those used for reading and entertaining, is battery life and with not a word about how long the 6300Whr battery will last it could be a bad sign."http://notebooks.com/2011/02/09/hp [...] dio-flash/[/citation]
6300Whr battery! Holy crap!
I'm gonna buy one of these to run my oven on!

bpislife

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Stop calling everything an iPhone or iPad killer. Nothing is going ton kill those two products. They might be better but they won't put them out of business.

pita

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
need a healthy ecosystem to make it a ipad killer.
Hearing HP is going to expand WebOS to netbook/laptop and even desktop would certainly help solidify the platform instead of being pure mobile platform

G

This won't even DENT iPad sales. Given HP's problems and lack of customer service with their dv laptops and now with their inkjet printers, I don't think too many people will be eager to buy this HP product. The feature list is impressive, but you have to assume that about 2/3 of them won't work and HP won't address or acknowledge the problem.

Disclaimer: my brand new HP c310a won't access any cartridge but magenta. It "pretends" to print text, but despite all of the printhead movement there's nothing but blank pages. Go ahead, google this issue to see all of the people experiencing the same problem and then try to find any kind of response from HP.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
In all honesty nothing is going to be an I-pad killer and before you all accuse me of being an apple fanboy I'm not i own nothing of apple i simply state that nothings going to kill the Ipad because of the application market and how many apps are already available for it... Thats the only reason this is alot better and it's great how it seems to all work together i mean this has a chance to be a big competitor for not a killer what these things need to really start doing is storing things in the cloud i mean the first one to do that and only put 4Gb in one can lower the cost and have a yearly fee for a cloud service for additional GB in the service so you can potentially store all your music and files there and just use them as needed

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
You don't kill the iPad with a better tablet...you kill the iPad when you create a more extensive app library, you create an aura of coolness around your company's brand so that it is trendy to carry one and/or post web stories about them, and you keep your product naming strategy simple enough for non-techies to easily follow (you know, like 1,2,3, etc).

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
No mention of an SD Card slot, or pricing... and still Months away from availability...

Believe me I would like nothing better than a great iPad alternative... but this is NO iPad killer.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
All these "killers" ought to be locked up. It's just a big toy race. It's fun, but, it's just a big toy race. You can't even get a desktop replacement that weighs less than half a ton & has 30min of battery life. So there's soon Windows 8, so what? Windows 7 works on a netbook & nobody is cheering. But if there were any actual practical use. FX a tablet that turns into a touchscreen monitor that you can use to videochat on your existing desktop via mini HDMI & USB. That you can use the 3/4G modem in the tablet aswell, & sych whatever you use on your real PC with that tablet so you can securely move data (if you need security). What about MS Office for Android? Just plug it in, go to work, go home, take your screen with you, take your data with you, save space & money on all those LCD screens, or use that screen as your keyboard.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]...when has anyone ever said the statement [...] and been completely right?[/citation]
I'm still waiting for the half-right...

Status
Not open for further replies.