The Samsung Galaxy S6 Is The World’s Fastest Smartphone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rutherfordsc

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
Why no javascript/web performance tests like Kraken, Google Octane or WebXPRT? Would be interesting since the browser is one of my most used applications in a smartphone.

That's a good point. When we revisit this topic, and you can be sure that we will, expect even more numbers, benchmarks and testing.

Alex Cranz

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
Why no javascript/web performance tests like Kraken, Google Octane or WebXPRT? Would be interesting since the browser is one of my most used applications in a smartphone.
This is actually something I want to do for the next round of this story post iPhone 6S release.

Also stay tuned for a deep dive into what is, unequivocally, the fastest browser for Android. Hella stoked to do that story!

jstolt

Estimable
Jun 29, 2015

two problems with that argument. According to recent surveys, games are the most frequently used app on smartphones -- web browser use is far, far behind stuff like social media, messaging in time spent on mobile phones. Second, the performance of web browsing/javascript depends on web browsers and javascript engine, in addition to the underlying hardware. It is likewise wrong to judge the overall performance of your phone by measuring javascript/browser performance.

Probably right about browser vs. other app usage. At least for me the browser is frequently used and it's performance of importance.

Isn't any software running in a smartphone dependent on the underlying software stack? For instance bad graphics drivers hurt performance even with the fastest graphics chip. What matters, at least for me, is the performance I get with the software running on the device. Thats why I think browser performance benchmarks is equally important as any other benchmark.

Devin w

Estimable
Aug 13, 2015
What you failed to mention though is for example that Android runs game at lower than native resolution
Considering that the iPhone has a lower native resolution than any of the androids, that helps keep the comparison accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.