Therapist: Gaming is Like Snorting Cocaine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
This guy probably would have complained about fantasy novels if this kind of job existed when they first appeared.

"The children and adults go into a world of their own, a world shaped by the author in order to stimulate the bodies natural hormones and create a sense of excitement and immersion which is totally addictive; and ultimately destructive."
- The kind of thing he would have said.

ElCdt

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
It always cracks me up when i see some pseudo-therapist come out and say things like these.
Unlike him, i have real extensive experience in both. I´m a recovering addict myself, after almost 20 years of heroin addiction, with a lot of cocaine in between. I can promise you, comparing gaming to cocaine is utter bollocks, and is only done to add shock value to a statement that lacks any real credibility.
Theories like these are concocted by self-interested people with an eye in making a quick buck from desperate parents that should know better. No doubt the authors of said theories have opened a gaming addiction clinic somewhere, and are just seeking out customers by scaring the living shit out of parents when using words like cocaine and gaming in the same sentence. Pay no mind to these buffoons.

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I think I have a going to work addiction....I just seem to end up there day after day and stay there for hours...do I have a problem?

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
OK... maybe StarCraft for Koreans is like cocaine. Games aren't habit forming, they start off as hopefully a challenge and progress until you finish the game and get board.

Maybe staring at a campfire is like meth?

TV must be like pot?

I suppose cookies are the equivalent to heroin. I can't wait until my next cookie. I should rob my entire family for another cookie.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Gaming can definitely be addicting. But not like cocaine or any other drug that causes a physical dependency. If you call something that you spend hours a day doing addiction, a lot of things fall into that category. Sports, reading, work, ect, ect...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
what's sad is i'm in school for game art design , our current class im in is a logic class , bassically the whole scope of the class is spotting bull sh-- , and making logical arguments your self, think this guy needs that class becauses his article is reminding me of a cow pasture smell and i haven't even finished my class yet

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
You got the yahoos who say violence is caused by video games, but violent crimes have dropped since the increase of video games. Then you got the parents saying that the game are teaching their kids bad manners and what not, but it is the parents that have the lack of parenting skills. Now you have idiots like this therapist saying games are just like Cocaine. Problem is, games aren't illegal nor are they made in Columbia.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Some of these people need an escape from the lives that they actually have. Say you are currently unemployed and just got back from an interview. You'd probably want to do something you like to relax a bit, and for many, that is video games.

There are always those who do not follow the norm, and those are the people who get much of the news. Yes, gaming can be addicting, but I suspect that if you are actually addicted to gaming, the game itself is probably the least of your worries.

Stop using scapegoats people, and start taking personal responsibility.

silverx75

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Dude.... I want to play the games this therapist is playing.[/citation]

Made my day!

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Just go visit wowdetox.com and you'll realize that gaming addiction does exist.

However, comparing games to cocaine is just absurd. Two hours of gaming is something that can be done on a consistent but sporadic basis, whereas one line of cocaine certainly cannot be.

Status
Not open for further replies.