Think the 3DS is Expensive? Blame E3 Attendees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Plays my nano violin with a grin of dissatisfaction on my face -.- "got excited" yea right every one who own/runs a gas station does that and we all get high gas prices.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Over here in Australia, I'd be happy if it only cost me the equiv of $350US. It will most likely be quite a bit more than that.

I will probably end up importing from the states anyhow. Even with shipping, it's normally a lot cheaper.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
im here going to comment quick.

the 3ds is the first 3d device most of us will have
it will be the first 3d movie player most of use will have
it doesnt require 3d glasses for the effect, and from what i understand does a damn good job at 3d
is a 3d camera, it may be low rez but you are looking at the 3d on the 3ds screen, so its not that bad, and it may take 3d movies. current 3d cameras are 600$+ as far as i know.
its backwards compatible with nds games as far as i understand. though this may change

now as for games
zelda oot 3d remake, witch may include improved visuals (and does from what i see) and also may include levels that had to be axed for time or space requirements of the original n64 cartages, and is still considered to be the best game of all time.
a 3d remake of snake eater, i may be wrong, but its at least set in that time frame.
star fox 64 (i believe looking at some of the level sand bosses)
and a new mega man legends (not looked at highly by mega man fans, but i loved the series)

for zelda alone, i would be willing to shell out 500$ system and game, and im planning to buy most of the launch titals at launch.

and finally, i see 3d for what it is, the future. right now its a gimmick because not many people have it, and its used for gimmicky effects (like throwing something at the audience), but once it finds its place, as in non gimmicky effects, it will be what we come to expect from future media. and trust me, once you play a fps in 3d its hard to go back. i played one about 10 years ago, it was a head mount display, and depending on where i looked in real life, as in move my head was where i looked in the game. its hard to play games without it still.

G

if the price range between 130 - 180 bucks i'll consider about that

wait for the PSP2 come out. . and 3ds will be history. . LOL

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I really don't understand why it's such a big deal that the price is so high. The original Game Boy was launched at the equivalent of ~200 dollars in today's USD, and it was not anywhere near as advanced for its time. The 3DS has the best graphics processor for a handheld currently on the market, AND it's running passive 3D. I mean, it'd be nice if it was $250, and it will be after a year, but do you really think it's not going to sell like mad?

slofat1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
what are they smoking. Don't they know half the folks are out of work or trying to make their mortgage payments, this is the great depression part II. 300 bucks, my god. you could buy 30-50 brand new books on amazon.

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]slofat1[/nom]what are they smoking. Don't they know half the folks are out of work or trying to make their mortgage payments, this is the great depression part II. 300 bucks, my god. you could buy 30-50 brand new books on amazon.[/citation]
Yes, people are depressed, so they need something to cheer them up. ;-)

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Meh, the hardware just doesn't do it for me. I'll put that towards a new phone. It'll be more useful, and the games (I'd rarely play on either) will only set me back $5.00 tops.

D

Deleted member 410608

300$ ? Why ? Does it play it self ?
Even if it has 3D capabilities. 300$ is just too much. You can get a PS3 -Which has 3D too, Glasses required though. No games released yet for it :( - and still have some cash left :S . If they kept that price tag. They won't sell much. If it wasn't for Nintendo's die hard fans.

ivanlucrazy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]im here going to comment quick. the 3ds is the first 3d device most of us will haveit will be the first 3d movie player most of use will haveit doesnt require 3d glasses for the effect, and from what i understand does a damn good job at 3dis a 3d camera, it may be low rez but you are looking at the 3d on the 3ds screen, so its not that bad, and it may take 3d movies. current 3d cameras are 600$+ as far as i know. its backwards compatible with nds games as far as i understand. though this may changenow as for gameszelda oot 3d remake, witch may include improved visuals (and does from what i see) and also may include levels that had to be axed for time or space requirements of the original n64 cartages, and is still considered to be the best game of all time. a 3d remake of snake eater, i may be wrong, but its at least set in that time frame. star fox 64 (i believe looking at some of the level sand bosses) and a new mega man legends (not looked at highly by mega man fans, but i loved the series) for zelda alone, i would be willing to shell out 500$ system and game, and im planning to buy most of the launch titals at launch.and finally, i see 3d for what it is, the future. right now its a gimmick because not many people have it, and its used for gimmicky effects (like throwing something at the audience), but once it finds its place, as in non gimmicky effects, it will be what we come to expect from future media. and trust me, once you play a fps in 3d its hard to go back. i played one about 10 years ago, it was a head mount display, and depending on where i looked in real life, as in move my head was where i looked in the game. its hard to play games without it still.[/citation]

Am I missing something here? It really does surprise me that some people can become so fanatically attached to something! Unless, of course you are quite wealthy, then I understand.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Like all consoles/handhelds, the game price is a huge factor most seem to forget. If the "gamer" purchase the device cheap and then pay alot of overpriced games there are better options who hits the wallet less in the end!

Status
Not open for further replies.