ThinkPad Tablet Up for Preorder Starting at $500

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Don't see the point @ 500 when something like the X220 tablet made by the same company can be had at ~850 (search slickdeals for that deal).

G

I dont think it will do well. Android just isn't good enough right now for production (instead of consumption) especially for business, which is what that Lenovo tablet looks like its aiming for.

Though I really want to try one next year with Windows 8 and Kal El. It could be the ultimate road warrior setup.

G

They have a Windows 7 tablet coming out later this year. IdeaPad Tablet P1.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]I was expecting it to be a Window 7 tablet.[/citation]

There have been so many Windows tablets over the last decade and even now and they have all been a fail! Windows is simply too bloated and slow for a tablet and it is even too bloated and slow for my i5 with 7200 HDD.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]I was expecting it to be a Window 7 tablet.[/citation]

me too.

Tired of this Android BS. Apple BS. I need a device more useful

I do not agree with windows tablets being slow. they are actually fast.
Just make sure the device has enough ram, and witht he speeds of SSD's these days, there is no problems.

I converted my Asus EEE PC 701 into a tablet, and it worked fine.

Just windows tablets were never in the spot light, thats why they failed. Now they are in the spot light. Now netbooks are in the spot light too, so who would buy a tablet as netbooks are ~$200 for more features. I can't wait to see a tablet that is useful with USB ports, card reader etc. It seems these days everyone is after a cheap PC thats why netbooks are doing so well.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Regular vista/win7 has hand writing technology built in, and can work as a tablet.

I used on my EE XP home, with componets from vita to make it act as a tablet, and it worked well too.

Right now Asus makes a small 7" netbook that can be a tablet as the screen folds back over the keyboard, but it costs $600.

HP use to make mini notebooks 10' that did that. (they were better then netbooks as they supported a faster cpu)

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I agree with some of you.
I have a 10' HP Touchsmart tm2 notebook that can be put in tablet mode. It has Windows 7 and a capacitive touchscreen and...
- It's heavy
- It's thick (but has a keyboard that comes in handy for heavy jobs.)
- The screen is not IPS (bad viewing angles and not so readable in sunlight as an iPad)
- The battery only lasts for 5 hours of intensive use
So, this system is not ideal as it is now.But 5hours is enough for me, it is very fast, responsive and quite astonishingly, very user friendly. It also supports gestures and long presses (=right click) lets you do things in a less "twisted" way that with the GUI of iOS devices. I would never have believed that Windows could behave so well in tablet mode. Android has an even better GUI in my opinion, but I need more powerfull applications. Editing spreadsheets and word documents is way too tricky on the current non-windows tablets.
Without the physical keyboard/touchpad and an SSD instead of HDD, and less physical ports,... it would probably become the perfectmobile device for me.
I own an iPad2 which is very good at giving you a feeling of smoothness with all it's fancy transition animations (zoom/fade) ... It keeps your eyes busy while you wait...but you do wait a lot and the gui's are not very intuitive after all + all apps look the same and are quite limited.

jaksun5

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Where's the optical track pad in that picture? They aren't talking about the little optical jobby like the ones found on the HTC phones are they?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The ThinkPad Tablet ships with Android 3.1, as does the IdeaPad tablet K1.

I like but physical buttons on the ThinkPad model. IdeaPad has a single Home button.

Not excited in 16:9 screen... and Android still has crashing issues.

Until the iPad3 comes out... I'll wait it out and see how Android improves.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Windows is simply too bloated and slow for a tablet and it is even too bloated and slow for my i5 with 7200 HDD.[/citation]

Maybe you should get your laptop looked at.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I was expecting it to be a Linux tablet.
I can send 50-100$ to poor mister Balmer as a present, if you insist.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
lenovo is not stupid to offer a tablet competing with the galaxy tab and tf when a superior and cheaper tablet (tf2 @ $400) may be available to consumers within the next 30-40 days. do they know something we don't? is nvidia falling behind on production or is android's ICS still working out bugs?

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Looks like a worthy alternative to the Transformer"

What I like about the Transformer dock is that when you add the keyboard you are more than doubling the battery life, not putting a drain on the battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.