Third display (Vizio 4k Smart TV) flickering issue

swmonty

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Hi all,

I've just finished setting up my new studio for video production, and I'm having a strange issue with my display setup that perhaps someone here can help diagnose.

My workstation consists of 3 displays -- two Apple monitors and one 49" Vizio 4k smart TV. I'm using Windows 10 Pro, and the displays are configured for "expansion" mode (as opposed to being mirrors).

My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX970. The TV is connected to the graphics card via HDMI, with an "AmazonBasics 4k-ready" HDMI cable. It's plugged into the TV's only 60hz port, as the other ports are all 30hz.

I edit with Adobe Premiere, and I have Premiere set to output a live playback of the video timeline to the Vizio TV. This all works fine UNTIL I navigate my mouse up from the Apple monitors to the TV display. If the mouse is ever on the TV, then I experience either a total blackout or fast flickering.

To better explain the issue, I recorded a short video of what's happening:
https://youtu.be/b1TvkUXlE7o

As you can see... everything works until I put the cursor on the TV. Total blackout. When I hit playback on my video timeline, the TV flickers until I take the cursor back down to the monitor. I guess it's just a minor annoyance -- not something that truly hinders my workflow -- but still something I'd like to figure out.

I'm open to any thoughts from the community here. Thank you!

swmonty

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013

I'm not sure exactly how they are connected since they existed prior to me taking over the studio space. I will check tomorrow. Previously there was a Mac in there, and I brought the PC in. We are working on a switcher solution to make the transition easier, in case anyone still wants to use the Mac tower that's there.

I do know, however, that the monitors are 20" Apple monitors, and they are 60hz. The resolution for both is 1680x1050.