This Is What Firefox's Mobile OS Currently Looks Like

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozonic

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]More competition is a good thing.[/citation]

you are right, but that competition has to be good in order to be a "real" competition... look at AMD, its no competition for Intel

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
If only we (in the USA) could get separation of device from wireless carrier. Then I think there would be more competition. Wouldn't have to worry about contracts, carrier restrictions, or bloatware. All said devices would have to do is conform to the GSM SIM card standard and you could just buy your device from anywhere.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Wow! Looks like a clone of iOS and Android meshed together![/citation]
It's one screen and it's the home screen, what exactly did you expect to be there a holographic being saying hi to you? On a home screen you will almost always see icons to launch apps and if it has a special place for all apps you will see an app drawer icon and since it is a phone you should see a contacts or phone button. You will see this layout on most every new mobile OS cause it makes sense, what will make the OS different is what it does beyond the home screen.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Wow! I really want to run my apps in inefficient, battery-killing javascript code rather than more efficient and faster objective-c or java.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
As much as I like competition and alternatives, this is nothing more than a "me too" product with an interface that mimicks Android for some parts and iOS for some (worse) parts. You may like or hate the final result, but Microsoft did at least the effort of taking a risk with the metro interface of Windows phone, providing a totally different experience. But this here, brings nothing new to the consumers (they don't care about HTML5 under the hood).

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I understand the concept to stick with what works, but the tech industry seems to be plagued with a lack of originality. Maybe product engineers should take some psychedelics before hitting the drawing board.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Not sure why people are bashing this. The fact that they are using HTML 5 as native language for the OS is really cool and will allow apps written for web use to be used in the phone and vice versa. This is actually a brilliant idea. Now whether it will cause performance issues is another question.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]Wow! I really want to run my apps in inefficient, battery-killing javascript code rather than more efficient and faster objective-c or java.[/citation]
Please do some research. Javascript is completely different from HTML5.

Javascript is also very efficient, unlike Java.....

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]At least Crapple won't sue them for the OS design because of the icons, for they are circular, not square with circular corners lol.[/citation]
Except Apple has a patent on "portable device UIs" that will allow them to sue Mozilla just for creating a UI.....

Trewyy

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
This is obviously fake, and I'm shocked that I'm the only one here pointing this out. There is no way Mozilla would make a build of B2G with the old Firefox icon.

You're all being duped by a jail-broken iOS device with some crap theme on top.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
I don't care about Apple's "Innovative hardware and user interface experience" and Google's so claimed "Open Operating System" (Everyone knows that this was just a buzz to get the rest of us on the boat, only to realize that it's been patched pretty much everywhere and that it's "sinking now" as we speak).

Mozilla, was (and is still) a good old player in the open source community. The fact that the OS will be based on HTML5, should make things (as mentioned above) easier for developers. One standard to follow, mobile, desktop or portable. It is time we gave the stage to those who have been waiting to provide their vision of user experience, other then the ones available by our beloved/hated industry giants.

I will cross my fingers and hope to see the OS in a mature state on it's initial lunch (unlike the release of Android).

Go Mozilla!

Status
Not open for further replies.