Tim Cook Gets AT&T to Unlock a Customer's iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Why not just tell the guy to go buy a new 4s, isn't that the Apple way?[/citation]

Or ignore the whining customer, or send him/her on a wild goose chase, like the rest of the tech industry?

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
apple, trying to undo their evil reputation one customer at a time. (or one customer who will get on the news and then never again)

otakuwind

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Big deal, Upper management does this shit all the time, they pick one customer to bow low for and tell the story from the hill tops. It makes for nice anecdotes about customer service. 100 emails and escalations get ignored for everyone that is pushed forward by powers on high.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
back in the day I had a moto razr that I wanted to take on a trip to Europe. One email to at&t solved the problem, they sent me the subsidy code. What is the deal here?

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Or ignore the whining customer, or send him/her on a wild goose chase, like the rest of the tech industry?[/citation]

I honestly don't get it. If this story was about how Tim Cook refused, it would be hating all up on him. Now that he actually listened, he still gets some heat. Lay off. ATLEAST he reads those emails. Sheesh. (Not fanboy, just annoyed)

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]santiagoanders[/nom]More evidence why subsidized locked phone is a stupid idea.[/citation]

He could have easily sold it and have gotten most of his money back. Early cancellation is like $400 and phones are running about $500.

[citation][nom]house70[/nom]back in the day I had a moto razr that I wanted to take on a trip to Europe. One email to at&t solved the problem, they sent me the subsidy code. What is the deal here?[/citation]

AT&T has decided that the iPhone is special. If you had any other phone with a new contract with AT&T for 6 months or 10 months after a new phone's release, they will give you a carrier unlock code.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]RockNRollz[/nom]I honestly don't get it. If this story was about how Tim Cook refused, it would be hating all up on him. Now that he actually listened, he still gets some heat. Lay off. ATLEAST he reads those emails. Sheesh. (Not fanboy, just annoyed)[/citation]

I wasn't insulting Cook, I was insulting the rest of the tech industry's habit of hiding tech support numbers, putting customers on hold for hours (and playing a cheesy music), making them go through as many automated customer service machines as imaginable, then forwarding them to a subpar tech support company that hired people who can barely speak English, and then charging a few hundred dollars for the tech support even if the customer's problem wasn't fixed.

Assuming if the company even has a tech support...

G

The problem with the unlock, or even Jail Break yourself is that you can not get the high speed you would get if you used a new phone with a different carrier. I used T-Mobile with my Iphone and it was never fast as any ATT Iphone. You need to use a phone with the same type of frequencies and network type to get high speed.

It is expensive, but worth it to get a different phone and provider.

Better yet, get an Android and work anywhere in the world at high speed.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
now we need to have all the phones unlocked...we pay an arm and a leg...and for what?....i would also love to remove all the bloatware without having to modify the OS on android devices

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I e-mailed Jobs few times asking for native FLAC support, and professional EQ settings, Never got an answer. Maybe his ekxelency Cook could do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.