Time Warner Raising Modem Fees Again; Blocks CBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockheart

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I'm a TW customer with phone/internet/tv. When they first charging fees in November, I looked at their approved modems and none of them have the required port to handle both internet and phone. When I called and told them I wanted to buy my own router to avoid the monthly charges, what would I do for phone service. I was told that I would have to use BOTH modems and the one they supplied would only handle phone service. They would stop charging me a monthly modem rental fee however. So what exactly is this monthly fee if I still have their equipment?

Ironically the device they supplied me is not on their approved list....

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Turned in their modem and bought my own shortly after the first "cable modem rental fee" went into effect. Got faster speeds and haven't had to reboot my CM once a week since.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
The thing about the "only time warner can turn on the wireless" is Bull.
I am a TWC customer and I can do anything I want with my modem, except own it, of course.

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Google fiber is 100x times faster and it costs less (excluding home phone). Everyone has a cell phone now anyways. Google Fiber also offers free internet for 6 years for an initial hook up fee of $300. That 6 year internet is the same speed as TWC. If Google will allow you to have Gigabit internet for less money. Shouldn't TWC cost like $13 a month for their "fiber rich network runnin' up to a 100mbps!"

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
I used to work as a TW rep and in all the situations they tell you what to say, offering the customer the posibility to buy his own modem is not included in any training course, text or prepared answer that they "teach". That means that the very own reps often don't know those things, only the curious ones.

tslot05qsljgo9ed

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Last November I went and purchased a used Motorola SB5101 from eBay for $15 total. Now that the rental rate is going to $5.99 a month it just makes my purchase even better.

And as other posters have stated I too had my download speeds increase by 33%.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Actually I am more annoyed at the number of people complaining about the rate increase. If you really was concerned about saving money you would have purchased a modem in the beginning not after they raise the price by $1 to $2 messily dollars. For the ones that are looking at how much revenue they are going to generate from the increase that is to run the company and pay people their salaries.

Bean007

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
Why would you even rent a mode from your isp? I bought my Motorola Surfboard and it paid for itself many times over vs renting.

24oz

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I have Time Warner internet in California I got the notice of the increase and just bought a MOTOROLA SB6141.I didn't know you could use your own modem till i did some searching.the modem the rent me is crap and will be going back to them this week.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
@jlockheart you could also get vonage and while its not optimal for a solution, once you buy the vonage hardware its cheaper per month than twc. Then you can buy a plain modem and I think it still connects to your house hold phones but dont quote me on that. I do remember seeing one of their ads that said you can use your mobile phone too... Im guessing thats over wifi while youre at home but Id look into it if I were you.

And as my response to the article itself... Ive been fighting with them the past few months myself because they are running an ad here about how if you sign up for service or come back from another service now they'll give you a 300 dollar gift card. Meanwhile they jacked up my rates from 121/mo (hdtv basic package, standard internet, and dvr) to 135/mo. So they are handing out free money to new people then sticking it to their current customers. If there was a way to watch live tv through some website so that I could flip through a bunch of shows Id dump their tv service in a heartbeat. Netflix and hulu just arent the same though they are tempting... especially since I can pipe anything on my pc to my tv via a vga cable (god I love my tv).

jadedmonkey28

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
"We offered to pay reasonable increases, but CBS's demands are out of line and unfair," Time Warner said in a statement. "They want Time Warner Cable to pay more than others pay for the same programming."

ROFLMAO Cable company treated like one of it's own customers who often pay more then the person next door for the same content. Their response of crying like a Biach about unfair pricing. And of course raise rates on there own customers, what a load of ship. Seriously, I wish I had TW so I could call in and tell them to go F themselves. They will pay in the end, I'm guessing CBS wanted another 150 million or so.

win7guru

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
After TWC lost their lawsuit for making mandatory rentals I got myself a DOCSIS 3 Motorola Modem and my speeds have been above the advertised speeds. Best part is there is not a monthly fee.

win7guru

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
After TWC lost their lawsuit for making mandatory rentals I got myself a DOCSIS 3 Motorola Modem and my speeds have been above the advertised speeds. Best part is there is not a monthly fee.

McgheeL

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Here is what I do with the TV thing. I did the Netflix thing and have watched many seasons of shows and watched many that I had watched before like ds9 and have been plenty entertained for 9+ months. My thought is that I will just buy the blue ray disks of the shows that i'm missing by not having cable and aren't on Netflix. Justified and a few others come to mind. I've saved like 500 bucks and buying a few disks is nowhere near that price. And I've gotten used to commercials again and pushing mute.

LM

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
@Bean007 - Unfortunately, not all services give you the option of buying your own equipment. I'm a Uverse subscriber, and IPTV connection setups like theirs authenticate ONLY through their equipment. Not terribly pleased about it.

Looking forward to Google Fiber next year. ^ ^

Status
Not open for further replies.