Tiny Asus Eee Runs Linux & Windows ($399)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkclyde

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Great info on future gen of affordable laptops, but the problem of laptop is actually battery life. I own asus laptop myself (A3HF) but the battery life is very short (about 2-3 hours tops). But if this small & cheap laptop have non power hungry hardware it could really push the envelop. Another problem perhaps the availability of this product on such country as mine, Indonesia. I really hope this product will be available with the $300 price tag here, because usually the price being put double the standard price because of entry tax and transportation fee on the distributor side.

G

Wow.. another Indonesian,
Yup I think it's a good system..hope the price is reasonable when it reach here..

G

I'm still dumbfounded by how many people buy into these things. Can you not buy a laptop from HP or Dell for $400-500 with better specs in almost all areas AND with Windows XP already installed?

zyberwoof

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
@ jephph1

You can and you can't. "Specs" does not give enough information. If by "specs" you mean CPU, RAM, Screen Size, etc... then yes, you can. But if you take into account that this is a laptop and for some size and weight is far more important than those other "Specs" then no you cannot buy something like this from Dell or HP for the same price. Just so you know, this thing easily fits into my girlfriend's purse.

I own one of these, so I can speak from first hand experience. The Eee should not be considered as a replacement for your main computer. However, if you would like a secondary device that is good for travel, or great for a student to take notes then the Eee is great.

Also, if anyone reading this goes ahead and gets an Eee, I would recommend you go to http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ for information of getting your Eee setup how you would like.

G

Yeah, that's the only reason I could think of to get one. I guess I just don't see the point in spending just as much to get a laptop that maybe be quite a bit more portable, but that really can't run much because of it's poor specs, especially in a year or two when a lot more software will be much too demanding for this specimen.

G

What is it with you people that put currency in pictures to give an idea on size? You are aware we don't all use whatever the hell that currency is? Geeze, would it kill you to put a freaking ruler in the pic. cm/inches version would be nice. Thanks.

G

I was under the impression from people in other forums that ASUS is not voiding the warranty for upgrading your ram an sps the most commonly used currency in the world is 6 inches

Status
Not open for further replies.